Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a couple bodies i would like to paint but one is chrome and one is colored chrome. what is the best way to remove it?

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
From what I've heard fresh Windex (use the real stuff) will remove it. For the colored one, the second layer will most likely need fresh windex to remove the chrome underneath. Should take a day or two of soaking for the chrome one, and a couple days each layer for the colored one. Occasionally scratch what loosens up with a fingernail to remove the loose stuff and then re-soak.

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Windex works great removing chrome. At least with Aurora/AFX bumpers, first time I did a set I couldn't believe how fast and thorough it took the plating off. Now with a body, you might need a little more time in the jar. :thumbsup: rr

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Just remember, stripping bodies takes a longer than bumpers, and it may not remove all of it. As the chrome is removed it affects the windex and after a day of removal, change it. I stripped a red chrome JL camaro, and after a day it may as well have been sitting in water. That got it down to the chrome level. I gave up when it got stuck at the chrome level, but I didn't realize I had to use fresh stuff for the next layer! Fresh windex daily!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
use bleach white (auto parts store for cleaning w/w and w letters on tires)
just dont leave in over night i used to remove chrome on 1/24 models i built

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
I use Simple Green or Super Clean Degreaser (Purple Container). For Aurora bodies there is a layer underneath the chrome (on wheels and bodies but not bumpers) that is redish/brown and is tough to remove but Super Clean has worked best for me. I'll try Windex next time to compare.

Tom

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Mean Green cleaner and degreaser is what Ive been using. Apparently it doesnt 'wear out' quite as much as windex, since I have the same tub for like 6 months. Still takes it right off. Soak for a few days, then use a cheap toothbrush to scrub it, let it soak for a few more, scrub soak scrub soak. Tyco, JL and AW bodies do have that under layer thats the toughest part to get off.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Easy Off for me...mostly because I use it for stripping paint too...The Mt. Everest scenario: Because it's there.

Blows the chrome off instantly and takes the ooky brown lacquer undercoat with it. A bit more spendy...but it does provide me with much needed instant gratification. For the most part I'm a pretty patient guy; however dilly dallying getting to square one waiting for stripper(s) to work bunches up my boxers.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
chrome removal

Cloudy ammonia will remove the chrome and all of the binder that makes it stick to the plastic.

-Paul

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Liquid Draino.........(Use this brand only) and when your done with it, it cleans your pipes out! This will aslo remove some of those vintage "Testors" painted bodies that nothing else will remove.

-------------------------
www.SlotCarJohnnies.com
Wonder how this stuff would work on the AW Suburban in that dark blue? Has to be one of the hardest bodies I've ever stripped. :rolleyes: rr

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
chrome be gone

From what I've heard fresh Windex (use the real stuff) will remove it. For the colored one, the second layer will most likely need fresh windex to remove the chrome underneath. Should take a day or two of soaking for the chrome one, and a couple days each layer for the colored one. Occasionally scratch what loosens up with a fingernail to remove the loose stuff and then re-soak.
tried the windex trick last night. 3to4 hrs after started color on chrome mostly gone. used a plastic type brush in a dremel to clean out grooves that worked better than a tooth brush.dumped out used windex poured new.soaked car over night.checked on this morning chrome is all gone.still has a brownish film on most of it.poured out old again and poured new.brushed body again seems to be coming off. put body back in to soak.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts