Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had to really do one when swapping wheels, but I do now. I'm trying to put slightly larger wheels on the rear of a current project, but the axle is too long. I can cut the axle a little, but what do I do to the end to keep the tire from coming off?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Dadvball said:
I haven't had to really do one when swapping wheels, but I do now. I'm trying to put slightly larger wheels on the rear of a current project, but the axle is too long. I can cut the axle a little, but what do I do to the end to keep the tire from coming off?
Sometimes i slide the wheel back and use a grinder to shorten it and it leaves a nub on the end so the wheel doesn't come off or while the wheel is back i put a small bead of glue on the end and let it dry then the wheel can spin.You can glue the wheel to the axle but then to have the shaft spin you cant glue the axle in but glue tabs on top of it so the axle can spin.Make sense to you?

Art

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Here is my thing. I use a small peice of aluminum tubing that I buy at a hobby store. The inside diameter of the tubing is just small enough for the axle to fit into. Using a hobby knife I gentle cut a piece of the tube the length I need it. Usually the width of the chassis I am working on. Then clip the axle of the wheels you want to put on the car and slide them into the tube. Use some pliers or wire cutters to crimp the tube around the axle after you insert it. Glue it in place where the old axle was. Sometimes I have to dredge the groove out a little to get the tube where the old axle sat or just to get the wheels lower in the chassis to get the back of the car up a little. Not too hard and works very well. Dont have to worry about how the wheel will stay on after you clip the END of the axle off.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Those are some good ideas.
My method, though crude, works well for me. I simply cut a slice out of the middle of the long axle, then put some JB KWIK weld in the crevice in the chassis where the axle goes, slide in the half axle with a wheel attached, hold it a couple of minutes until the JB weld cures, and then repeat this process for the other half of an axle/wheel combo.

·
Registered
793 Posts
AQUA XK8 said:
Those are some good ideas.
My method, though crude, works well for me. I simply cut a slice out of the middle of the long axle, then put some JB KWIK weld in the crevice in the chassis where the axle goes, slide in the half axle with a wheel attached, hold it a couple of minutes until the JB weld cures, and then repeat this process for the other half of an axle/wheel combo.
Thats the way I do it too except I use 5min epoxy. Dont really like doing them that way but I've never managed to hit a hobby shop to pick up the tubeing.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
quick fix;

1) take your small needlenose pliers and pinch the offending wire axle, by the ammount you need to shorten.

2) bend excess axle tip at a 90 degree angle.

3) repeat for 2nd axle.

4) face wheel side, with bent axle ends, towards back of display

:p

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! All sound like good easy solutions. I have some of the aluminum tubing I bought for the heck of it, so I might try there first. I appreciate all your help.

I should be done with this car on Sat., so I'll post a pic.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Here's another solution:

Cut the axle at the desired "shortened" length; with the wheel still on the axle, grind the cut end just 'til it's flat, then using a homemade "jig", put the axle in the jig, then put the whole mechanism in a stationary vise (with the ground end of the axle pointing UP), tap on the end with a smal ball-peen hammer, just until the end is "flat". This way, the wheel won't come off! Be careful NOT to bend the axle when tapping on its head--and VOILA! You have a resized axle!

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts