Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I might redo my Lunar Models 2 foot Jupiter 2. If i do, it will need to be repainted. I can either strip and repaint OR paint on top of the cleaned 5 year old metallic silver enamel. I have never stripped paint from Vaccuform plastic only styrene plastic which i used Castrol super clean with excellent results. What is best for this vaccuform ?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I've used Easy-Off on vaccuform with no problems before. Leave it on for about twenty minutes, and then hit it with water from a kitchen sink sprayer.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that Super Clean would do a great job on the vacuform stuff, since it's still styrene.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
I agree with Mango.

Mango! Mango! Mango! :freak:

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, i wasn't sure vaccuform lunar models material would be safe. This is the huge 2 foot model, i will need to fill a swimming pool with the stuff. The oven cleaner stuff, do you just spray that on and let it sit then hose it off ?

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Oven cleaner may not be the best choice.

It needs to be cleaned off very well....like for small parts it takes lotz of hot water and dish soap or simple green to clean off the stuff and usually it works best when the item being stripped is inclosed in a large ziplock bag etc.....its the fumes more than the product itself.

There must be better ways to do this....I have heard of many but can not think of them at this time.

Is this thing completly built with details or an interior??

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it has a derilect version scrimm in the window and thats it. I want to get inside fix the lights replace the clear fusion core insert that fogged up in spots when superglue touched the edges. Plus i want to put some people inside and then put a flat disc on each hull so the will go together better. If i was careful, the only part that would need repainting would be around the seam of the hull. Maybe i could lightly sand the metallic silver with fine grit so the entire ship could be repainted so the seam area paint won't look newer.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
model maker said:
thanks, i wasn't sure vaccuform lunar models material would be safe. This is the huge 2 foot model, i will need to fill a swimming pool with the stuff. The oven cleaner stuff, do you just spray that on and let it sit then hose it off ?
I've never used Castrol, so I can't speak for that. But I've used Easy-off on vinyl, vac kits, very thin resin (like the antenna on the MIM Nostromo in my gallery) and even rubber & plastic toys. I've never had it react bad on anything so far.

I spray a thick layer on, let it sit 20 minutes and hit it with a waterhose or kitchen sink spayer. It works a lot better removing paint than chrome plating, chrome might require 2-3 applications, but paint usually comes off with one.

I don't use a bag or container, I usually set whatever I stripping on a pizza box outside and spray on a thick layer of foam. I use an old soft plastic scrub brush on crevices or recessed areas when rinsing it, but a lot of the time you won't need it, when you're lucky the old paint slides off in one gross slimy wrinkled sheet leaving nothing but bare plastic when you hit it with water.

That's my experience, anyway.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Guys, i used castrol S/C on my PL J2 with great results, but then again it was small enough to fit in a bucket. This Lunar models J2 is 24 inches and i don't have anything that big. I know that i have several coats of testors metallic silver applied over a weeks time. I wonder if sanding with very fine grit to rough up a little to give tooth to the new paint ?

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I've looked for the Castrol Super Clean, and someone said its just called 'Super Clean' now.

I've found a product in Murray's called 'Super Clean' in a purple jug and I'm wondering if thats the same stuff?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts