Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in upstate N.Y. and keep my R C gear in my car trunk during the work day and go racing right after work, temps could go to down to 10 deg during the day "hasn't yet" but I'm wondering how cold is reasonable or safe for lipos? Although I'm asking this I'm going to put my chargers/batts in a metal case and bring them in with me from now on. Thanks :dude:

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
I live in upstate N.Y. and keep my R C gear in my car trunk during the work day and go racing right after work, temps could go to down to 10 deg during the day "hasn't yet" but I'm wondering how cold is reasonable or safe for lipos? Although I'm asking this I'm going to put my chargers/batts in a metal case and bring them in with me from now on. Thanks :dude:
I too heard that they don't like the cold but what that temperature is...I don't know. Maybe someone at SMC or Thunderpower could give us some info on this.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I had a transmitter lipo battery fail on me this past weekend possibly due to this reason. It was bitterly cold (teen high temperatures) and I had the TX stored in the cab of my truck all day, and when I went to use it at the track it was down to less than 7 volts. I know it was at 11+ volts before I left the house.

It was also an inexpensive offshore brand lipo purchased off of ebay. That probably didn't help either.

·
Registered
260 Posts
All the equipment stays in the trailer with a very low heat but I always bring the batteries in the house. They really don't like cold weather. It not as cold here as it is up there.

·
Registered
143 Posts

I have been told that you don't let a lipo get below freezing. Letting one get that cold causes the ink inside to gell and the lithium to not be suspended as well and the battery will still work but it will run for less time and not carry as much voltage. I am not sure if this is 100% true cause I have never let mine get that cold. I started keeping them inside in the heat after that. I have also been told that a lipo works best when it is between 90 and 110 degrees. it is supposed to give a greater discharge and allows for a longer run time as it allows the battery to charge to a higher Mah. I tried this using tire warmers and it seemed to help. my battery would go two 5 minute rounds befor it started falling off.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been told that you don't let a lipo get below freezing. Letting one get that cold causes the ink inside to gell and the lithium to not be suspended as well and the battery will still work but it will run for less time and not carry as much voltage. I am not sure if this is 100% true cause I have never let mine get that cold. I started keeping them inside in the heat after that. I have also been told that a lipo works best when it is between 90 and 110 degrees. it is supposed to give a greater discharge and allows for a longer run time as it allows the battery to charge to a higher Mah. I tried this using tire warmers and it seemed to help. my battery would go two 5 minute rounds befor it started falling off.
Thanks...thats the kinda info I needed, I've let mine get that cold for sure. :dude:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts