Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wondered about this for a while........ how does PM actually produce WL's? Do they have one assembly line for regular cars and one for WL's for every series? Or does one assembly line run and just arbitrarily grab WL parts? Does it cost them any extra to produce the limited number of white components for each series? Are diecast even made on assembly lines? I assume so, but I don't know for sure. Again, something I've wondered about for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,760 Posts
the little munchkins operating the assembly line will whisper to a few well chosen cars that they are about to be under the umbrella of RC2 and it scares them white :devil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,103 Posts
POCKETWOCKET said:
the little munchkins operating the assembly line will whisper to a few well chosen cars that they are about to be under the umbrella of RC2 and it scares them white :devil:
what is rc2 and whats going on with it i guess i missed something
 

·
Rocket Power
Joined
·
3,267 Posts
RC2 is the Ertl company that just bought out Playing Mantis and Johnny Lightning over the last couple of months. If you haven't heard that then yes you have missed out. I can no longer get stuff from Playing Mantis. It's all RC2 now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,103 Posts
tinywheels said:
RC2 is the Ertl company that just bought out Playing Mantis and Johnny Lightning over the last couple of months. If you haven't heard that then yes you have missed out. I can no longer get stuff from Playing Mantis. It's all RC2 now.
wow really didnt know that

kinda sucks

are they still gonna be using the jl name and making wl cars and stuff or how much will things change?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,190 Posts
Sure they'll still make WL and being the tenth anniversary of JL they'll want to commemorate it by limiting them to 200,500 of each one!!! Printed on the chasis of course (happy happy joy joy dammitman!) LOL

J/K I have no idea what they'll be doing with the WL program, I'm just not a big fan of RC's chase cars since they started overproducing them. Rememer the RC medallion Nascars Chrome chase from 1996, they were actually limited to 996 of each! And the regular line of NASCAr had chrome chase 1 of 1996, still a low number. then came the 1998 50th anniversary of NASCAR, and everything was limited......to massive quantities.

"you pass the joint and I'll pass the wine, and anything good from a down the line. A lot of good things went down one time...back in the good ole days"
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,696 Posts
I've got it on good authority that video tapes from the factories in China clearly show that late at night, after everyone has gone home, the W/L fairy sneaks into the building, and touches it's favorite JL's with a magic wand, and wherever the wand touches the cars, that's where they turn white. Sssshhhh, it's a secret!!! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
jasydad said:
I've wondered about this for a while........ how does PM actually produce WL's? Do they have one assembly line for regular cars and one for WL's for every series? Or does one assembly line run and just arbitrarily grab WL parts? Does it cost them any extra to produce the limited number of white components for each series? Are diecast even made on assembly lines? I assume so, but I don't know for sure. Again, something I've wondered about for a while.
Well, m'boy, it's kinder laak this. We gots a bunch of them glass jars, ya see, ya know, sorta like yer momma packs green beans in? Y'see that thar big copper kettle over thar in them trees? We just puts them jars under that funny, crookid lookin' bit of copper pipe, that we sorta borra'd from the general store in town, and thar's this really clear stuff that drips outa that piece of pipe, into them jars. Whut's that clear stuff? Whaaaa, boy, that thar's the stuff we'uns calls Whaaaat Laaaaaghtnin'. We'uns uses that stuff fer just 'bout everthin', paint thinnin's, liniment, Maw uses it fer makin' them winders just as clar as air, oh, and we dunks them little toy cars in it, does all manner of funny stuff--whahh, they comes out with all kina white stuff on 'em! Oh, 'n by the way, we'uns kin sip the stuff too--whoooooeeeeee! It do burn some goin't down, but we'uns shore don't feel no pain for hours!

So, see, now you know, how we'uns do Whiaaaaat Laaaaghtn's. :drunk:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Was at the Wild Week End in Conn , which had JL as convention cars , And we was given a little info or JL/RC2 , they plan on following the JL thing , The founder of Playing Mantis/JL stayed on as CO and will keep his thing, Hope this help you all some
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,760 Posts
ok - the truth on WL manufacturing - since Tom Lowe could only afford about 99% of the coloring required to produce a proper car, the other 1% was left plain white - this was an embarrassing situation at the time - so, after conspiring with a few key marketing strategists (and a little of pappy's moonshine), they developed the idea of including these "souless children" into the production run (kinda like a "oh hell, why not" thing) and invented the name White Lightning in honor of pappy's special brew that gave them the nerve to try this daring and cutting edge approach to sell these "plain" cars for the same value hoping that people would hoard and cherish them as unique and exciting
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,871 Posts
I love it! Not a single serious or topic related response to his original question...
Seriously though, anyone know the real deal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,760 Posts
SiNutt said:
I love it! Not a single serious or topic related response to his original question...
Seriously though, anyone know the real deal?
yes
no
maybe
i bet there's about 1,000 or so chinese factory workers who could reveal the answer to this cosmically enigmatic brain twister - but, until you bribe them with some canine stew served with a side order of breaded feline entrails, just rejoice in the knowledge that only JL can provide you with your much needed WL fix (unlike those nasty little TH's from the other far less interesting company who produces the absolute cheapest excuse for a car known on this green earth and i wouldn't even cross the street to spit on one if it was on fire)
so the answer is this:
"Don't worry, Be happy :) "
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,095 Posts
this got a good laugh out of me.





POCKETWOCKET said:
ok - the truth on WL manufacturing - since Tom Lowe could only afford about 99% of the coloring required to produce a proper car, the other 1% was left plain white - this was an embarrassing situation at the time - so, after conspiring with a few key marketing strategists (and a little of pappy's moonshine), they developed the idea of including these "souless children" into the production run (kinda like a "oh hell, why not" thing) and invented the name White Lightning in honor of pappy's special brew that gave them the nerve to try this daring and cutting edge approach to sell these "plain" cars for the same value hoping that people would hoard and cherish them as unique and exciting
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top