Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,Since Round 2 is reissuing many old kits,How about the 3 Black Hole kits reissued and while I'm on the subject how about some Space 1999 reissues.Whatcha Think?Guy Schlicter

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
The only one I have is Vincent and I was disappointed with that kit. I find the detail on it very soft in places (plus lack of detail) and Vincents head piece (the top grey bit with the red pieces you stick on) is badly moulded. It should be uniform in shape all the way around but one half's a different shape to the other half. It would be good if it was reissued with a new piece for that plus one or two other detail parts. There's no eyes included for him either.

As for the Space 1999 kits well the Airfix/MPC eagle was terrible so I'd prefer a new kit to seeing that again.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
None of the original Black Hole kits impressed me very much. I think if they cast the ship out of clear styrene for lighting properly you would have a winner...

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
None of the original Black Hole kits impressed me very much. I think if they cast the ship out of clear styrene for lighting properly you would have a winner...

That could be a great idea....and a new piece for the middle so it's the correct length. One other problem I've heard with the Cygnus is that the framework on it's poorly defined but because I haven't seen the kit in the flesh I don't know how bad that is.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
It is a bunch of raised ribs over the lighted areas. I do not think thaey are that accurate but from across the room it is a good effect. Since the model was molded in grey plastic, the only way to approximate the lighting would be topaint it metallic gold (like I did) or maybe UV paints. The way the kit assembles if they only cast it is clear a couple of bulbs would give you a great effect.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm not sure that I've seen the previous Black Hole kits, but I can't imagine doing the Cygnus without lighting it - and no matter what scale you do it in, you may as well build 90% of it with photoetch parts.

However it seems the Cygnus falls into that category of "better off not attempting it though I would sure love it" - the ship (model) is about the same size as the Executor in Empire Strikes Back - both around 9-10' long - but sooooooooooo detailed that they may as well be 100' long - the detail is a large part of what makes those 2 ships so great, and a lot of that detail simply cannot be simplified - and since the detail is so important, a lesser detailed kit cannot capture the essence of the original. The studio model of the 1701 refit is 8', but translates much better simply because there is comparatively not that much detail - it's mostly smooth, and that translates well to a few more manageable scales.

....ooooo if I had the time I would love to figure out doing an almost entirely photoetched Executor - think of it - you could assemble the interior "exposed city" structure as a topographic layering of photoetched sheets (end result would look like millions of tiny wafers sticking in and out and overlapping) where each sheet would have etched paths for light to seep through in millions of tiny windows, and the main surface of the arrowhead would have a photoetched layer applied..... ok so it would cost as much as making the studio model, but fun to dream at least :thumbsup:

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've got a Maximillian still bagged in an open box... I've never been able to make a decision to build it or not. It would be nice to see the kits re-released, as hokey as the film was the models hold some nostalgic appeal.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have Vincent, unbuilt. I plan to build it in the next year or two. I want to modify it so the accessories will move up and down/in and out. I also plan to light it up. I have a few other kits to build or finish first.

I would love to get Maxamillian and the Cygnus, but not at current prices. A reissue would be fine with me.

I built the Cygnus years ago, but it smashed in the black hole of a move.

The Cygnus would require a new mold since the kit is inaccurate. It is missing an entire section of the ship. I agree it should be clear or transparent plastic so it could be lighted.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think they could re-issue the Cygnus kit as-is in clear and it would sell like hotcakes; less cost for the manufacturer. Those of us who want to could easily combine to kits to rectify the other problem.

Mark

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I'd go for the Space 1999 re-issues but I don't think we need the Moonbase kit. I really wish they would reissue the Hawk kit, that would be fantastic....

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
These things are fresh in my mind since I've rebuilt them both in the last few years . . .

VINCent. Clunky kit. Poor decals. Lots of options for things sticking out that make you realize what a poor design it was. Best option: repop and sell with new decals and a lighting kit. Still a dumb kit but would look pretty lighted up.

Maximillian. Another clunky kit with appendages that don't make sense. Parts are soft in detail (especially the tools at the end of the arms like really thick kinfe blades). Lighting the eye might help.

It's been a while since I built the Cygnus but I don't remember it as fondly as some of the previous posters. First off, it's about 18" and sit uncomfortably on its stand. It's inaccurate as mentioned. Detail is very soft and the antennae are downright ugly. To make it work, it needs to be reworked with more detail and some photo-etch for the attenae. Molding it in clear for lighting would be tricky since the light would need to be even throughout and not let's even think about seams in the clear parts.

No, I really think some things are best left in the box - particularly subjects from a badly received movie that only a few of us remember.

Besides, you think Disney's going to issue a license to repop these for just a few bucks?

Jim

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I think they could re-issue the Cygnus kit as-is in clear and it would sell like hotcakes; less cost for the manufacturer. Those of us who want to could easily combine to kits to rectify the other problem.

Mark
Missed this the first time, I don't know that I would say it would sell like hotcakes, I know I'll regret this but I worked at our hobby store when these kits were originally released and they didn't do all that well then, probably why they were not reissued. The reality of the matter on this family of kits is that it is a rather obscure movie and I would suspect sales on these would be rather limited. Certainly a rush for many collectors/builders upon initial release but not much after that....

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Missed this the first time, I don't know that I would say it would sell like hotcakes, I know I'll regret this but I worked at our hobby store when these kits were originally released and they didn't do all that well then, probably why they were not reissued. The reality of the matter on this family of kits is that it is a rather obscure movie and I would suspect sales on these would be rather limited. Certainly a rush for many collectors/builders upon initial release but not much after that....

Don't forget kids most probably wouldn't be buying these kits, it would be people who grew up with the film and many, many 40 somethings remember the Black Hole with affection. It's a good film and has been bashed by a small minority unfairly.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I loved the movie except for the ending- after that much build up about going into the Black Hole it should have been a bit more than a Heaven/Hell Light Show.

The spacecarft design, interiors, matte paintings, SFX- it was almost the last time the old school artists all worked together on a film. A great effort and still beautiful to watch...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts