Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeff posted this in his new arrivals thread, but I had all these pics in my photobucket just crying to be posted!:freak:

After the front line "works" Penske team had dropped the Chevy brand, GM turned the reigns over to long time partner Chaparral Racing.

This is the 1970 Chevy Camaro of Jim Hall. The word is that Jim was looking for a reason to drive a bit more and decided to pilot the #1 Camaro in six 1970 Trans AM events before turning it over to Vic Elford who raced it in four more rounds. The 1970 records show that in Jim's six starts, he posted a best of 4th three times and finished 6th in points overall. Vic did post a win in the #1 car during the 1970 Watkins Glen round as well. The #2 team car was driven by Ed Leslie.

Of the three '70 Camaro's built by Chaparral, only one is confirmed to exist today in it's original form. I think TSM did a admiral job on this casting. I look forward to many more Trans AM cars for the future.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I love the big iron so this just makes me smile!

As 1:43 is for the most part curb models only, there is not much to see on the bottom. But this one does have correctly scaled pipes. These things were HUGE!

Here it is with my 1969 Donohue Championship winning Bow Tie.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Very nice story and cars. Those were some of the best days in racing.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
WOW! That is one sweeeeet Camaro, Ward (as is the Blue Penske car). I always appreciate reading the story behind the car as well. Thanks for sharing...

:wave:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ward. looking at the base and comparing it to the Penske Camaro makes me wonder if they were not both made by Spark.
Or at least in the same factory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have heard that all TSM are made by Spark...
Hi Guys,

The factory that produces Spark models is called Minimax and they produce roughly 65-70% of our 1:43 scale models. We have researched many factories and there ones out there that can build you a resin model second to none. However, the problem is that they can only do it...maybe 50 times (pieces). The thing that makes Minimax so great is not only can they produce a quality model but they can do it in the quantities needed and every piece is identical in presentation. Very reliable. Anyways, thanks for all the kind words about the Chaparral Camaro. We are very lucky and privileged that Jim is quite involved with our development process and helps to insure the product is as accurate as possible....or at least as accurate as he remembers it :). Thanks All!

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yes, like the guys said, thanks very much. It's nice to meet you and kind of you to offer your insights.

I have purchased my first 3 TSM models this year and have the same on pre-order, so your gaining ground on me for sure!

Ward

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Must have been facinating and an honor to work with the legendary Jim Hall.
Thanks for stopping by Wesley. :thumbsup:

Great model Ward. It's neat to see the Chaperral name on a production car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts