Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would think this would be a sure thing and would have no chance of being a peg warmer.
Does anyone think different? Yes? No?

We know they used other years and makes on the show, but in my mind at least, the '68-9 Belvedere is most associated with the show.

I meantioned this in the GL forum without much response as of yet, but couldn't resist the topic here!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I'll buy it whomever makes it but it not a "fit" right now in M2's line up. Not an A_T or D-m; I guess it come under Detroit Muscle.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting point Mr. Hauler, the thought never crossed my mind.
Let's hope M2 doesn't let labels or a strict catagory format hold them back from doing potential big money-makers or iconic pop-cultural subject matter.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
I don't see why it would be an issue to market a sub category of about six vehicles to test the waters... It could be the same entertainment themed series as the aforementioned Sanford & Son truck. But they'd have to tool up a '51 Ford for that one of course. Real collectors LOVE that kind of stuff. Anything with real world working class character. Work trucks and emergency vehicles fit the bill.

Speaking of emergency vehicles, I think M2 is one of the few to never have released a police car so far. GL sure has made a tidy business of it, almost to the point of saturation. But then there are countless liveries out there.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Flaps; I agree with everything you say. But can M2 tool up enough new castings for a new series AND do they want to? Only SEAN knows for sure.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
I think one of these reasons m2 has stayed around is not doing things like this, the entertainment diecast is pretty much GL, why jump into a already dominated market, instead, m2 prefers to do what others aren't, just my opinion..

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Flaps; I agree with everything you say. But can M2 tool up enough new castings for a new series AND do they want to? Only SEAN knows for sure.
I wouldn't suggest they tool up some new cars specifically for the purpose of marketing a tv/movie theme. But if they had suitable castings, it would make sense to explore the licensing possibilities. Entertainment cars may be a GL thing, but there are always things that haven't been done before.

Just as an example. The '66-67' Charger is a car they already have, which could be spun off to look like the one Elvis Presley drives in the 1968 movie Speedway. Found this one on a modeling forum.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
Also, there is the licensing issues..think about why there hasn't been a sanford and son truck?, hell, the show on dvd has only been the last few years..and i bet entertainment licenses make regular car license fees look reasonable..

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't suggest they tool up some new cars specifically for the purpose of marketing a tv/movie theme. But if they had suitable castings, it would make sense to explore the licensing possibilities. Entertainment cars may be a GL thing, but there are always things that haven't been done before.

Just as an example. The '66-67' Charger is a car they already have, which could be spun off to look like the one Elvis Presley drives in the 1968 movie Speedway. Found this one on a modeling forum.
My thoughs were, the sheer numbers of Adam-12 Plymouths that M2 or anyone else might sell could easily re-coup any licensing costs and beyond, and then still have way cool 4dr. tooling to play around with for a fire chief's car, demo derby, etc., etc.

I fully realize this is out of the norm for M2, but there's nothing whrong with taking a perhaps low risk chance. I just think it would sell like crazyville.
That all being said, I have absolutely no clue how much the rights would cost, along with other factors.
I'm really interested in hearing what others opinions are, I'm just really sorta surprized lots of folks aren't chiming in with a "heck yeah" given the absurdly go0fy crappolla diecast makers have released...and sold in the past....wow, some reeeally knarly eye-sores!

So that '66-7 Charger looks way bitchin. Great pix! That's a 1:25th plastic kit Dr. Flapps!?

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want to make a full sized Adam-12 car see my website.
All I can say is WOW!
As a fan of the show since the'60s, and as an owner of 6 MoPars '56 to 1971, I was beside myself looking at your rightious site!!!

Some things stood out for me (but I've only just grazed the surface) were this super clean '71 B body detectives car.
3 of my cars are plain-jane 4drs, a '62 B body Dodge Dart, a '62 B body Belvedere, and a '56 Plymouth Savoy

And this long rack of C body squad cars in the back of the pic.
I a huge fan of the C body though. I have 2 '68 Furys and a '71 Imperial LeBaron 2dr. Coupe

I really enjoyed the "Equipment" section of your site as well.
This site you have created has further inspired me to one day convert one of my own cars or find an origonal.

I really appreciate you stopping by, please hang out often, and welcome to Hobby Talk!
Dave - 1 Adam Lummox :wave:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
i'm still rooting for the 1972 matador...not quite as powerful or cool as the all mighty belvedere...but just as synonymous with the show, and very popular with l.a.p.d.

but yeah, i'd love a 4-door belvedere...can you imagine the custom wagons we could get out of it too?...coroner's wagon, grocery getter, fire chief's tool carrier...little johnny's first car, sal's t.v. repair :lol:etc., etc., etc.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
but yeah, i'd love a 4-door belvedere...can you imagine the custom wagons we could get out of it too?...coroner's wagon, grocery getter, fire chief's tool carrier...little johnny's first car, sal's t.v. repair :lol:etc., etc., etc.
Oh man...for SURE!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I do love these Plymouth Satellites (and Dodge Monaco variations).
I'd be more interested in an AMC Matador, for Adam-12.
Although I would prefer a 4 door much more, Racing Chumpions did make an Adam-12 Satellite, 2door.

If this Satellite pictured here, was made by M2, I would buy some 1/64 again.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
So that '66-7 Charger looks way bitchin. Great pix! That's a 1:25th plastic kit Dr. Flapps!?
Yup. A 1/25 Speed Machine Charger by MPC.

but yeah, i'd love a 4-door belvedere...can you imagine the custom wagons we could get out of it too?...coroner's wagon, grocery getter, fire chief's tool carrier...little johnny's first car, sal's t.v. repair :lol: etc., etc., etc.
Now we're talkin'! :thumbsup: :p

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like lotsa guys are interested in Adam-12 Matadors and '71 Satalites. :thumbsup:

Like Stutz or 54-B said, Macs' '71 Satalite black & white wagon would be absolutley stellar!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts