Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first post and I'm not to familiar with any of this stuff,but I came home today after shopping and found that one of my hotwheels (84 Pontiac firebird) 2020 has 2 different wheels and I googled the car to make sure that it's an error and sure enough it is....what I'm asking is it worth anything and if so what's a good price for it? Thank you!

·
Administrator
26,606 Posts
Since it's a new casting they are already selling for about $3.00 each on ebay. As an error you could probably get $5.00 this week as well. Next week who knows. If it were mine I would leave it unopened and set it aside for 3 to 5 years and then sell it to a Firebird collector for less than $5.00....

In the mean share with us your other collection pieces or is the first one you have bought?

·
Administrator
26,606 Posts
Here is another thread that has links to more threads about errors....

·
Registered
653 Posts
Error cars are interesting. I always wonder how in the world that happened? I've had a number of errors over the years and when I'm going thru a fresh case or bin I look for them. I've sold a bunch and kept a few......

Wheels errors like these are probably the most common and least valuable. I've sold some but it takes awhile cause you gotta find the right buyer.

Next would probably be the missing wheels/axle errors. I've found a number of these also. They're a bit more desireable to collectors but again you need the right buyer and it helps if its a popular casting.

Next we have the unriveted base errors. There are a bit more sought after and they bring a nice little sum on eBay.

The most popular error is the missing tampo. I've only found about 3 of these I can think of. These can bring as much or more than a $uper Treasure Hunt if you have a popular casting.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
I agree that errors that have a missing tampo can bring in a bit of money on a popular casting, but I do not think a casting of say even a 67 Camaro will bring in more than a $uper T-Hunt, unless it one of the real dogs.
Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I agree that errors that have a missing tampo can bring in a bit of money on a popular casting, but I do not think a casting of say even a 67 Camaro will bring in more than a $uper T-Hunt, unless it one of the real dogs.
Again, just my opinion.
I actually had 1 that brought more than the super was bringing at the time: the '69 Mustang Boss 302 from a few years ago. I had both the super and the no tampo error and sold them both on eBay within a week of one another. The error brought about $10 more than the super. I wouldn't expect that every time, but the no tampo error is alot more unique than a super and all you need is 2 guys that want it. Never had a no tampo Camaro so can't say how that would do.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
True about the no tampo error being a bit more unique than a $uper. In terms of numbers, not many "naked" castings compared to $upers out there.
And very true about having 2 guys get into it wanting the same item on E-bay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts