Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have three (3) Redlines - two (2) Classic '57 T-Birds and one (1) Beatnik Bandit. I'd like to get a discussion going
about whether those of you who collect the Redlines:
(1.) ever restore them, and if you do, how, in your opinion, does restoring a Redline affect it's value? ; and
(2.) for restoration jobs do you "farm it out" to be restored by someone else, or do you "do it yourself"?
I know that parts for restoring a Redline are available, so have any of you ever used any such parts, such as reproduction wheels?
So let's hear some of you Hot Wheels Sages chime in with your opinions on and/or methods of restoring Redlines!
:thumbsup:​

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some Qs and As

Since I started this thread, I have bought a used copy of Hot Wheels Spectraflame : The Essential Guide by Edward Wershbale. This is an absolutely excellent source of information on
Hot Wheels Redlines produced from 1968 - 1972.

In the Frequently Asked Question section on page 242, the author address two questions about Redlines that have had replacement parts added or complete restoration work done. In relation to reproduction parts, his viewpoint is that such "parts or even the suspicion of one will lower the value considerably and even detour sales".

In addressing the question of a restored car's value compared to originals, his opinion is that, "Restored castings have no value compared to an original", and even though there are those people who do great restoration work, "they have no value compared to an original."

This would seem to blow out the flame of wanting to restore a Redline, but everyone is entitled to their viewpoints and opinions.

The two 1969 Classic '57 T-Birds I have are in incredible shape for their age, with near-perfect wheels, but the Beatnik Bandit I have
has pretty beat-up wheels on it. I was considering ordering some reproduction wheels to put on it, but now I'm not so sure I want to do it.​

·
Banned
3,878 Posts
Since I started this thread, I have bought a used copy of Hot Wheels Spectraflame : The Essential Guide by Edward Wershbale. This is an absolutely excellent source of information on
Hot Wheels Redlines produced from 1968 - 1972.

In the Frequently Asked Question section on page 242, the author address two questions about Redlines that have had replacement parts added or complete restoration work done. In relation to reproduction parts, his viewpoint is that such "parts or even the suspicion of one will lower the value considerably and even detour sales".

In addressing the question of a restored car's value compared to originals, his opinion is that, "Restored castings have no value compared to an original", and even though there are those people who do great restoration work, "they have no value compared to an original."

This would seem to blow out the flame of wanting to restore a Redline, but everyone is entitled to their viewpoints and opinions.

The two 1969 Classic '57 T-Birds I have are in incredible shape for their age, with near-perfect wheels, but the Beatnik Bandit I have
has pretty beat-up wheels on it. I was considering ordering some reproduction wheels to put on it, but now I'm not so sure I want to do it.​
cool that's the same book I use, very good guide to use

·
Banned
3,878 Posts
I'm not a huge fan or reproduction parts but I did get some repro boards for my deora as it was missing the boards and I'm getting a hood for one of my barracudas too

·
Registered
504 Posts

(1.) ever restore them, and if you do, how, in your opinion, does restoring a Redline affect it's value?​
No, absolutely not. A restored Redline would be of no value to me or a lot of other serious collectors that I know.

Our cars are original survivors. No packages, no repaints.

I often play with some of them as I am sitting here on the computer right now.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I would only consider restoration with repro parts if it were in REALLY bad shape. To me a played with beater with less than perfect redlines is still cooler than a restoration with all new parts. I have about 5 that I would consider restoring. They were, as most kids did, put through the mill with new paint jobs and worn off redlines. Those, I will do something with, but not from a value perspective, only my own satisfaction.
Here are a couple. I don't think they deserve the condition they are in from a collector's view, but they made some kid happy at one time. Fast forward to today and I think they could use some attention.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Depends if you want to resell it later on. I have a few that I put repro parts on just to make them more appealing to me. I have no plans on reselling them...

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It's all in what makes you happy.....

Some people don't have the means financially to obtain a mint condition redline.....but if they can obtain one that has been restored that gives them the same feeling then I say go for it.

I, personally, have some redlines that have been restored....but I don't collect them for value...I collect them either because they are some that were lost from my childhood, they are too banged up from my childhood, or even some that I didn't have from my childhood that I wished I had had.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
hello forum i need help in making silicon molds for windshields and how to make windshields can some one please who has done this and has knowledge of this process please tell me in detail what to buy and how to create everything? i thank all who answer in advance!

cyco

·
Administrator
33,834 Posts
You might get more views and feedback if we moved your post over to the customs section. Let me know if you want that done.

Reactions: samace22

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have never sold a restored redline and have many in good to oh my god why would someone do that condition. I restored some myself and am very happy with them. They are mine I bought them they make me happy sitting on my desk. Not in a box in my closet.

·
Administrator
33,834 Posts
I keep accumulating beaters and 'daily driver' examples but havent got around to restoring any of them. I do have a tire tool and have ordered some replacement boards and wings for a few. And have a few wheel donors that I plan to use for my childhood castings that need new wheels.

Doubtful I would ever resell any of them or sell any of my originals.

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
going back to the original question that bumped up this old post, I'm in a FB restoration group and have never heard of anyone doing molding of windshields... only using beater models or reproductions from ebay to restore.

I do some restores and dont sell them, altho I have seen them for sale, and they are listed as being a restore, some still going for some high prices.

Here's an example of one I did, the original windshield got a little melted, so I just got rid of it, cut the top off a newer Camaro and grafted it on to this Custom Firebird to make it a hardtop.

·
Administrator
33,834 Posts
I guess it would come down to volume. Putting together the mold making kit and then the product material is probably very expensive for most people to make a windshield for a casting or even a few of them. But if you are thinking of going into production of replacement parts to sell to others it might be worthwhile but many other people and companies have already done it. So the market will just get more saturated over time.

You will also have to come up with a pristine windshield to sacrifice from a nice casting in making the mold. And keep in mind many window piece changed from year to year early on and doesnt necessarily fit from a USA to a Hong Kong made casting version.

As noted above getting a decent window from a beater is currently more likely a cheaper way than making one yourself at home. But when will that supply start to run out. They are already creeping up in price every year (and now monthly it seems.)

And if you carefully follow casting progressions you may can find a more recent casting model that may just fit a Redline worth restoring with a bit of modification.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hello forum members thank you to all of you who try to answer my question but the reason why i asked the question is because of the video im putting up the link to yeah it says
" Matchbox restoration Making windows from epoxy resin diecast car " but it is the same for hw's. and i know well just fallow the video well the person making the windshields doesn't talk in the video he has subtitles and he shows a good video on how to but he also doesn't show or explain things in the video it jumps from one thing to the next and doesn't say the measurements and how much clear resin. please watch for yourselves and you'll see what i mean, i just thought there might be some members out there who might have done this process or might be still doing it and could tell me how to. thank you to all that answered and please watch link

Matchbox restoration Making windows from epoxy resin diecast car - YouTube

·
Administrator
33,834 Posts
From that perspective - every manufacturers process is going to be different and you need to use their product as directed. As far as filling the mold you slowly pour in enough to fill it. The measurement is going to vary for each windshield size and design. I guess you could use a syrenge or small beaker to fill the mold from - once prepared - with water and determine an exact amount. Be sure to thoroughly dry the mold before using the resin.

Has anybody asked him in the video comments? Maybe you can post there to find out his exact measurements he uses for each on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I only have three (3) Redlines - two (2) Classic '57 T-Birds and one (1) Beatnik Bandit. I'd like to get a discussion going

(1.) ever restore them, and if you do, how, in your opinion, does restoring a Redline affect it's value? ; and

(2.) for restoration jobs do you "farm it out" to be restored by someone else, or do you "do it yourself"?

I know that parts for restoring a Redline are available, so have any of you ever used any such parts, such as reproduction wheels?

So let's hear some of you Hot Wheels Sages chime in with your opinions on and/or methods of restoring Redlines!

👍
I have recently aquired a few restoration redlines

👍
I have seen many restorations on ebay and consider many to be just amazing works of art. I am sure it takes a bunch of trial and error to perfect this hobby of restoring cars.
Personally I want a car that screams brand new but I dont want to pay 1000.00 to get it.
The colors are perfect to originals , the detail is spot on , so yes they have value in an artistic way.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
hello forum members thank you to all of you who try to answer my question but the reason why i asked the question is because of the video im putting up the link to yeah it says

" Matchbox restoration Making windows from epoxy resin diecast car " but it is the same for hw's. and i know well just fallow the video well the person making the windshields doesn't talk in the video he has subtitles and he shows a good video on how to but he also doesn't show or explain things in the video it jumps from one thing to the next and doesn't say the measurements and how much clear resin. please watch for yourselves and you'll see what i mean, i just thought there might be some members out there who might have done this process or might be still doing it and could tell me how to. thank you to all that answered and please watch link

Matchbox restoration Making windows from epoxy resin diecast car - YouTube
Interesting video on making resin window replicas. I've never made a silicone mold, but I google searched "how to make a silicone mold for resin" and lots of websites and YouTube videos came up. I think that would be the best place to start. There are also repro windshields available from a few places. RedlineShop.com has a lot of redline windshields:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts