Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just found this cleaning out my shed today and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. its a 14k gold (plated?) beach patrol.
I remember about 15 years ago my grandmother got me this at a swap meet and told me it was 14k gold. well i stumbled upon it today years later and have no idea what its worth or anything about it. I searched google and came up with nothing. maybe its just folk art? thanks.. -kane

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The South Texas guide had no mention of it. I'll check my Tomart's when I next go upstairs, but I'm beginning to suspect that it didn't leave the factory with gold plating. And it would be extremely unlikely--at the very least--that Mattel would make a Hot Wheels body out of genuine 14-karat gold.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
My Tomart's had no mention of this one, either. The wheels date it to no earlier than 1996, so it was a fairly new vehicle when purchased at that swap meet. Could you post a picture of the base?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah. now that i look at it closely i see the rivet was drilled out and filled in... so I suppose it is folk art. :freak:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
It looks like a custom job. None of the FAO Schwarz Gold series sets had a Surf Patrol/Path Beater in it. I looked through all of the specialty sets here and did not find anything, http://www.southtexasdiecast.com/hwguide/hwset.html

The only set it "may" have been from is the Billionth Car editions with the trophy, but I did not find any info on a complete list, and the truck doesn't have the slots to attach to the trophy.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The only set it "may" have been from is the Billionth Car editions with the trophy, but I did not find any info on a complete list, and the truck doesn't have the slots to attach to the trophy.
The Billionth Car editions were made in 1989 or 1990, and were all Corvettes.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Since it is a custom with the rivet drilled out, it may be plated in 14kt gold... but that doesn't make it worth anything more than any other custom because the melt value of the gold plating doesn't add up to much.

Interesting O/T factoid of the day - if you take a bottle of "Goldschläger" Schnapps and filter out all of the gold flakes in the bottle... it adds up to less than $2 in gold

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Is the body metal or plastic? I'm pretty sure that by the time that truck was made, Mattel was using plastic for bodies that were to be plated. If the body was metal, I'd be almost certain that it didn't leave the factory plated.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Is the body metal or plastic? I'm pretty sure that by the time that truck was made, Mattel was using plastic for bodies that were to be plated. If the body was metal, I'd be almost certain that it didn't leave the factory plated.
the base and body is metal

as you can see the post diffrence. the gold plated one has been drilled out.
i also belive the yellow truck is what was used
along while back people were taking there stripped down bodys to platers.
then painting them up giving them a mirror finish. like the old jl mirror cars.
and thay sold pretty good on e bay.
some of the older guys here remember this. the cost of plating kinda killed this idea of a custom.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The thought behind your Grandmother's intention of giving you a "gold" car is the main value here.......:hat:

Welcome to HobbyTalk...is that Wilmington NC by chance??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts