Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently acquired a Hot Wheels "Cars of the Hard Rock Cafe" set from 1998, mainly so I could have an example of this wonderful hearse. But I want the hearse, minus the Hard Rockin' flames. If I could do that, I'd have a very classy metallic grey Cadillac - with a blue steering wheel. Has anyone here ever successfully de-tampoed a Hot Wheels 100% without damaging the paint?

These flames don't appear to be clear coated in any way, but from my own experimentation with a dry erase marker, they're much more resistant to removal than your average mainline tampo. The "best thing for removal" subject has been brought up many times before, but since it's a special project, I'm posting this.

So, gentlest product/method for removing tampos needed, any informed recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have removed the Hard Rock cafe tampo from the trunk of the Black 59 caddy that came in the other Hard Rock 3 car set,
I used nail polish remover , acetone, worked alright
Getting it out of the groove around the doors will be the hardest part
Hope this helps

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input Cars.
That's the thing that concerns me the most, getting it out from the door cracks without rubbing off paint. Ideally I would use something that can liquify the tampo ink without need for a lot of friction.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Lum, I know you've been a long time endorser of carb cleaner, and fancy that you've worked on the exact same car! Any particular brand or tips for application?

I've used NPR, and markers, I might as well try this. Hope I can find a small amount, because I don't have the space or need to have a half-gallon of the stuff laying around. ;)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have the same exact beautiful coach...well NOW is gorgeous without the flames.

Carb cleaner is by far the fastest method. Gone in seconds.
Plus it dries quicker than NPR so there's less time for it to soften the paint.

Nail polish removal is for the ladies! ;) ;)
So, what should men use to remove their nail polish?

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Thank you Lum, I know you've been a long time endorser of carb cleaner, and fancy that you've worked on the exact same car! Any particular brand or tips for application?...;)
Never expeirmented with different brands of q tips.
Only have used a generic brand.

Maybe they're all the same? Others may have info on this.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's a casket in there alright Doug, but it's molded into the grey interior.
I wish the base were screwed on so I could open her up and detail it mahogany brown!

Lum, I didn't mean any particular brand of q-tips, but carb cleaner. :lol:
I'm about to go pick some up, I guess they're mostly the same.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Ha! oh, yeah, no, any kind should do the trick just fine I would think.

Comes in a spray can and you can gently spray it directly onto the Q-tip so there's no
open cup of it evaporating and stankin' up da joint.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Man, what a pain in the ass.
So I went to it with the carb cleaner and q-tip method this afternoon, and on this car at least have found it to be no less tedious than nail polish remover. So the ladies who use that shouldn't feel too emasculated. ;)

Part of the way through, I realized this was going to turn into a project requiring touch up paint. As you can see in the pics, there was moderate paint removal. In some spots, the damn tampo seemed more tough than the paint itself. Hot Wheels, go figure.

I have yet to touch the right side. But once that is done, come hell or high water, I'll have a metallic grey hearse that strangely looks better than before. Even with the scuffs… And hopefully, I can find just the right shade of metallic modeling paint to cajole the color back to showroom condition with a little thinner. I'm thinking perhaps I can buff smooth any touch-ups. Then rub a coat of car wax to restore the finish. Sound like a plan? Thanks again for the advice gentlemen!

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Ive not had luck removing Hot Wheels Tampos without ruining the paint underneath . Dont know what they use , but its tough to get off ..
Ive had pretty good luck with non acetone nail polish remover on other cars . Not as harsh on the base paint ... Of course if its a plastic piece , what ever you use eats into the plastic ..

·
Administrator
37,042 Posts
I have ued Super Clean to remove the more stoubborn tampos before. I have found that you have to check and re-soak a couple of time to monitor the removal as the Super Clean will eventually remove the paint as well. I do 2 to 3 - 30 minute soaks at a time and allowed 24 hours drying time between more soaks for the best effect so far. This is for metal bodies (parts). Plastic (and de chroming) can be done in an hour or over night with no ill effects on the body pieces (parts). I have left a plastic test chassis in the soak solution for up to 7 days with no damage..

Reactions: Lummox

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Oh man, I'm so sorry to see that!

I've never once had a problem w/carb cleaner, nor have I heard anyone else has had a problem.

As we know, some HWs use paint for their tampos (I think), so it's remotely possible they switched to paint during this cars production.

More likely maybe you had it wet with carb cleaner a little too long, or used to much muscle.
I try to be somewhat quick about it, but I've never felt rushed.

As far as touching up you should be able to get an exact match by mixing in a lighter or darker color s needed.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I've had best results with carb cleaner. I've found that q-tips with a plastic shaft are too harsh on the paint. I prefer q-tips with a cardboard shaft as the cotton tip if softer. Plus, when the tip gets yucked up you can snip it off at a sharp angle, then dip the pointy shaft into carb cleaner. Now use the pointy tip to clean out door edges and other crevices. Works great.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts