Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:

My name is William and I a new to the group. I will be cross posting this to several groups and discussion lists for any advice someone may want to offer. I am not very proficient on terms, so a little forgivingness would be appreciated.

Info:
Minimum of 10 year old home built log splitter. Purchased, by my father, for home use. Unit was parked for minimum of 8 years with a tarp that went to shreds on it in the weather of Southwest Ohio.

Motor is a Tecumseh Extra Life, cast iron, 16 hp horizontal shaft, Engine connected to a hydraulic pump for log splitter via a #50 chain.

When I got splitter, I cleaned the mouse nest out of the housing and cleaned up unit. Engine was seized up and would not turn. Dribbled kerosene and transmission fluid in spark plug hole for most of winter and got engine turning. Changed oil to 10w40, Removed carburetor and soaked in “GUNK” parts and carb cleaner for 48 hours or so and left to drain well. Float is good and clean, no rust. Pull spring loaded carb adjuster out and let soak as well. No signs of anything bad. Both butterfly valves for the choke and throttle are clean and free from any gunk. Movement is easy. The unit has a fuel pump hooked to the carb that has a rubber diaphragm in it. Fuel pump works very well considering age. Checked gap in stator and coil and adjusted it to between .006 & .010 Unit is showing a charge when it runs. Looked at rods, from top of engine, no grime or carbon build up anywhere. Seen good oil, in the rod area. Has an aftermarket round pipe extension with a round muffler on it. An adults hand will fit on muffler to tighten it.

Problem:
We can get engine started and running ok. Have adjusted idle to medium speed, When running at medium, the baffle starts to glow orange. Flames will shoot out muffler to some degree. Some sparks will fly out muffler as well. (Sparks are assumed to be carbon build up) we have tried adjusting the air/fuel mixture to decrease the orange baffle muffler problem, but cannot achieve any good results.

I am told I cannot operate splitter in this condition for any period of time before destroying the motor. I do not want to destroy this unit. I would like to get it operational without paying someone to figure out this little puzzle.

My father and I are working this problem together to get the orange muffler baffle to calm down and not burn up this thing.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
William Hunt

·
Registered
750 Posts
rust may have built up there, or some deposits, thus keeping most of the head in the muffler hotter than usual. or maybe one of the exhaust valves has some rust or deposits in it... check those

1 - 2 of 2 Posts