Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
See my post on 4/24. I have pulled the head on the engine and discovered the cause of the frozen exhaust valve was because the valve guide had moved out of position. It had risen up enough (toward the valve cover) to keep the valve from opening, thus the bent push rod. Does anyone have any idea what might have caused the guide to slide? It was very firmly positioned when I drove it out. It was not damaged and the mating surface of the head was good, so I chilled the guide in the freezer and heated the head with a torch then pressed it back into proper position.

·
Registered
75 Posts
lots of luck with that head. Valve guide usually only push out when the engine is overheated (low oil) and the over heated valves bend and push out the guides. usually u replace the heads and valves but if ya wanna try to replace just the valve be ready to rebuild it again have fun and good luck :freak:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Madman, I suspect you may be correct about the overheating situation. There was lots of debris blocking airflow in the cowling around the cylinder & head. The oil level was fine and there seems to be no sludge which would limit oil flow to the rockers and valves. The valve turned freely in the guide, so I don't believe that it is bent. I am not willing to invest the price of a new head and related components in this old piece of equipment, but I am willing to gamble the price of a new pushrod (assuming I can find one to purchase). I'll report on my degree of success after I get it back together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts