Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where do i find the tools to bore out smallengines like hone and something to measure the cylinder before and after honed need to replace rings and want to go 10 over standard size with new chrome rings and new piston

·
Registered
34 Posts
There are several options for honing, boring and measuring the cylinder.

Boring – take it to a machine shop. You will need at the very least a vertical knee mill, the ability to fixture the block and a boring bar to enlarge the cylinder bore.

Honing – Most hardware stores, not necessarily the big box home improvement stores, more your local hardware store will carry a three stone cylinder hone. These can be tricky to operate as you need to constantly adjust and re-adjust the tension of the hone to apply the proper pressure in the cylinder bore. I prefer something like item #4424A18 found at www.mcmaster.com these are cylinder size specific, but I have had great success with them. They automatically apply even pressure as you go about the job.

Measuring can be expensive. I use item #20685A666 found at www.mcmaster.com it is a dial bore gauge and the 2’ – 6” range covers everything from my Father in-law’s 12.5 HP Briggs to my Mercruiser 170 and then some. I like the dial bore gauge because as I move the tool up and down in the cylinder bore I can see on the dial the amount of taper in the bore. It is also easy to spin and read to check for ‘egg’ shaped cylinders.

That said, this is a good tool for less money, item #2081A4, you will however, need a micrometer to read this tool.

If after you check your cylinder you find that it is round and the taper is within the service limits you should be able to hone it 0.010” over. Although if the bore is in good shape and so is the piston I would simply hone the surface and use standard rings and re-use the piston or replace it with a standard size piston. To take it one step further, if you are using chrome rings and the cylinder bore is in good shape there is no need to hone it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey u saved me a buch of money and gave me very good info ill keep it forever close to my heart thanks so much for such a well written reply lots of good info here and i need it all i have many cast iron engines some briggs and stratton and some techumseh ,some with normal ignition points and such and some with solid state and one or two with magnatron as well im building a plowing tractor now from an older sears garden tractor with a 16 hp ohv single on it and i need it to be right to do the job i have all ready made a hydrolic front end loader for a GT14 and use it alot it does have some shove when it comes to snow and dirt too thanks again for the reply ill be back often im disabled and have lots of time 48 years old no kids but sure could fix up a mini bike or go cart or two when one comes along for repairs may even start a small buisness out in my shop i have lots of tools to do most jobs and with a few more i could rebore small engines as i used to do car engines for dirt track in the sportsman classes

·
Registered
96 Posts
where are you?

I do not think you can ever break even if you buy the tools. Most people like me find engines as is and clean carbs or other minor adjustments to get running to resell. I recommend you try that method first. I am in NH so Tell me what you need - glad to help. I mentioned this before to moderators - I wish everyone would list their location when they post - we are all gear/motor heads trying to help each other out. Good luck!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
where im from

hi im timbo im from new york state central ny near norwich ,or 40 miles north of binghamton ny or 60 miles south of sayrecuse ny chenango county i own my own home with a nice tool shed shop in it are the floor model drill press lots of lights ,a welder,torches, grinders ,wrenches by snap-on ,snap-on air compresser,and all air tools for it, pretty much complete mechanical shop ,im retired/disabled and have around 18 years in the diesel mechanics fields ,air conditioning ,brake systems,transmissions ,and all related service of mainly bus engines ,as i used to work at cornell university in ithaca ,other intrests,,,fishing hunting,any thing from rabbits squirles to black bear ive taken seven of them in my lifetime of their persuit,i very much enjoy whitetail deer hunting ,and where i live its all surounded by 38ooo acres of prime state land woods ,medows,and streams with brooke trout when i bought this place ,i figgured id plan ahead for my eventual retirement,and just after the purchase of same house and five acres ,i was injured in a saw mill accident where a fellow dropped a lift of red pine cabin logs on me when i went to put skids down for him to set the lift on he wasnt watching at all i woke up in the hospital with my back hurt and L3-4 to S1 fused together witha bone graft fusion ,that has failed did not fuse and now due to stress on other discs in my back i hqave a herniated T11-12 disc about to rupture, have a confirmation by MRI and will be in surgery soon like maybe this month or first part of april 2007 i have to under go lots of tests before they cut and chop on me for the 3rd -or 4th time i lose track with the pain ive been for 17+years ,but sure do enjoy small engines and garden tractor pulling im allways looking for that extra advice no matter where i find it ,and who knows some day ill be pulling a garden tractor at the county fair ,have several older sears tractors and one 1958 wheel horse rj same year as i was born ,it was converted to a puller with a 10 horse briggs and stratton engine and had the frame lengthend 2 feet out front by previous owner who knew nothing of the rules about the frame haveing to be original but knowing what i know with time i could cut and weld back to original specs and have one hell of a puller im sure for the stock 5 horse power class at least also have a very old simplicty 3.5 horse riding tractor complete with deck and runs excelent i was a skilled mechanic for years now its just a hobby of sorts ,but this is really who i am 48 years old retired disabled small engine hobbist glad to have this site

1 - 5 of 5 Posts