Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to help a friend with this problem. She said the mower(self-propelled)
stopped while mowing. It would not restart. Oil is dripping from the air breather,oil in the gas tank & the spark plug looks oil fouled. I looked at some past forums on this oil problem. It could be an over-fill of oil in motor or blown
gasket. I will look into it tomorrow. Please help with your thoughts on this oil
problem. (Model # HRR2163VXA)

THANKS, willie

·
Registered
116 Posts
Or gas leaking into engine when its off and getting into the oil causing it to be thin AND over filled. Smell oil on the dip stick (if it has one) and see if it has a strong smell of gas. Rub some between your fingers and see if it is as thick as you would expect (when cool - it will be thin when warm).

Leaking gas would be caused by an issue in the carburetor not allowing it to shut off the fuel.

>Maytag
<disclaimer> not a mechanic, just a weekend warrior like most.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally checked into this problem. The gas is fresh in tank (no oil). The air filter was oil filled with oil from intake tube. New air filter, spark plug & oil. The engine
now runs but surges on high but dies on idle. I will take carburetor off & clean main jet next.
Can a engine (running lean) pressure up & push oil thru intake tube & cause an air leak ?

THANKS, willie

PS: PLEASE post valve clearance for (#HRR2163VXA) Honda

·
Registered
24 Posts
If it's the GCV160 engine listed in this owner's manual: lawnmowersworld.com/honda/manuals/31VL0B10.pdf

Then INTAKE: 0.006" +/- 0.001"
EXHAUST: 0.008" +/- 0.001"

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you know the honda procedure for setting intake/exhaust valves ( piston before tdc / tdc / after tdc ) ?
#HRR2163VXA = FRAME #
HONDA 160 cm3 = Motor #

Thanks , willie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts