Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not sure on the carb bolts although I have changed intake gaskets on most of my personal machines and never had to "crank" on them. If they had a philips head I used a number 3 philips screwdriver and tightened as much as I could twist a large size screwdriver. That seemed to be sufficient.

As far as the oil well cover, I just did a briggs 3hp WITHOUT pressurized oiling and it called for 85 in/lbs on the cover bolts. This is the type of engine that just splashes oil around the crankshaft. Pressurized with an oil filter I would assume is more for obvious reasons.

Hope this helps until the pros in here have a chance to chime in.

Remember ---- "To Tight, is right. Too tight, is broke!":confused:

>Maytag:rolleyes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

The studs on the carb and the bolts on the crankcase cover are 6mm x 1mm pitch. I found a torque chart on the web and it said for dry steel bolts I should use 7.19 ft-lbs which is about 85 inch pounds.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
This is probably not the place to ask this but why are all these torque specs different? For example I used the link beow for METRIC TORQUE CHART FOR HEX HEAD CAP SCREWS. 6x1 plated 8.8 grade 7.8 foot pounds. Every site you goes to has a different value.

http://www.imperialinc.com/pdf/A_FastenerTorqueCharts.pdf
You can't really use a torque reference for the screw / bolt, as that probably references the torque the bolt is capable of without failure. There are variables dependent upon the type of material the fastener is used on, spacing, operating temperatures, etc....

Then information you are looking for should be located in the service manual for the engine your working on. You might find some help here:

http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/en/welcome.html

see if you can locate a shop manual for your engine, it may have the torque values you are looking for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts