Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Honda gx160 engine and will only run on choke. I replaced the carb set the governor, and stills only runs on choke. Help!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Did you use an OEM carb or an online x-brand? That alone could be the issue.
You're basically describing fuel starvation and/or vacuum leak, but it could be the intake valve isn't seating properly as well or even a cracked cylinder head.

Does it run fine for a few seconds then require choke? If so, the tank screen or fuel line could be restricted and it leans out once the feed tube is evacuated of raw gas and doing it's emulsion thing.
Vacuum leak testing: while it's running, spray some carb. cleaner around the insulator/manifold area, looking for a change in RPM. Careful not to hit the throttle shaft area, that will usually get a response which is a false-positive.

Unlikely but a valve issue could be the cause. If you get nowhere with the above, start by checking valve lash. Testing compression on an engine with a compression release isn't quite accurate, but typically you'd expect to see 60-80 lbs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No only runs on choke. It did this on the original and new carb. It will die off choke. I have no backfiring. Are these heads known to crack?

·
Administrator
29,003 Posts
How long are you letting it run before you turn off (reduce) the choke or it runs through its auto adjustment phase?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I let it warm up, but it will die right away when I take it off of choke. I also adjusted the valves, its not a genuine Honda engine. It came off of a Coleman minibike.

·
Administrator
29,003 Posts
Did you change the spark plug or ignition? How about the plug wire is it moving with the chock and grounding out somewhere?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
The fact that it does it with the orig. and replacement carb. is why I pointed you away from the carb. itself - like a vacuum leak or other problem. Symptom vs. disease.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fact that it does it with the orig. and replacement carb. is why I pointed you away from the carb. itself - like a vacuum leak or other problem. Symptom vs. disease.
If I do a leakdown test to see if the valves are seating, how much pressure do I test it with?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Any typical 4-stroke engine should not see more than a 10% loss. Usually you use 100psi air in, so anything below 90psi is NG. But, a compression test with most smaller engines such as this that have a compression release should see about 60-80psi comp. such as B&S engines.
See pic, Honda cites 85psi min.
Valve lash is .006" and .008' +/- .001"
Did you check for a vac. leak with brake clean spray?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I used brake cleaner with the straw. Kept away from the throttle shaft from having a false reading. Sprayed it around gaskets and insulator, and engine revved. I got a new one coming.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Important: While the rubber-coated metal intake plate looks like it should go between the insulator and carb., it doesn't. It goes on the choke side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I used brake cleaner with the straw. Kept away from the throttle shaft from having a false reading. Sprayed it around gaskets and insulator, and engine revved. I got a new one coming.
Important: While the rubber-coated metal intake plate looks like it should go between the insulator and carb., it doesn't. It goes on the choke side.
Ok, now that new isolator and gaskets are in. It will run out of choke, but will die at idle right away. At full throttle (out of choke), It will surge up and down any ideas?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I'm assuming this is with the new carb. The old carb. could have a restriction.
First, how did you come upon the new carb., i.e. did you go by the numbers, or just bought one that's known to fit a GX160? I ask this, as even within the series of a particular Honda engine, the carb. jetting can vary greatly. That's the first thing to address. After that, a vacuum leak may still exist, or it may be a fuel flow problem from the tank.

If the jetting is suspect, usually you'd have to remove both jets to read the number, as Honda usually stamps it in the side of them, above the threads.

Surging could be from a lean condition (fuel delivery or vac. leak), but also you may want to reset the governor static setting. Search this forum you'll find that setting explained.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts