Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Excel Pressure washer with a Honda residential engine that was locked up. I tore it down and repaired it and it runs great but I can't seem to make the govenor work. When I let go of the trigger on the wand the engine revs extremely high. I took it back a part and I think I have the internal parts of the govenor put together correctly.( I think it will only go together one way)
Does anyone know how to set the govenor correctly?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Loosen the arm attached to the governor shaft coming out of the engine. Hold the carburetor in the "WOT" (wide open throttle) position and then rotate the governor shaft unitl it stops in the SAME direction as the arm was moved in order to open the throttle. Tighten the arm back to the governor shaft, this should take care of it assuming the governor is assemble and working correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still doesn't work

Thanks for the quick reply 30yearTech..
I just went out and tried that and it doesn't work. Still runs WOT. I guess I don't have something inside correct. When I pull on the govenor arm when it is running it vibrates and I hear a noise. It has been a few months since I had it apart but the best I remember it was a small white gear with two metal wings that would move outward with centrifugal force and push the center of the gear away which rotated the govenor shaft. It only appeared to go together one way..? Any Ideas...?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
On some engine if the governor is not set up correctly and the engine over speeds then the flyweights can open all the way and you have to take the engine apart to reset them. Make sure the governor spool moves freely and is not sticking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts