Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a 1500 watt Honda generator that had sat for years. It has a G42 motor made in 1975 or 1976. After cleaning out the fuel system/carb I got it running. I installed a new plug, cleaned the air filter and did an oil change. It now runs great.
My problem is when I cleaned the air filter canister there was a blue jelly in the bottom I assume was oil that had gelled up. The canister has a "fill with oil to here" line. What is the proper oil to use?

Rick

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Generally 30wt motor oil. There is usually a sticker on the outside that specs the oil. There should have been a foam insert in the filter tank, most likely the blue goo you had in the bottom.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generally 30wt motor oil. There is usually a sticker on the outside that specs the oil. There should have been a foam insert in the filter tank, most likely the blue goo you had in the bottom.
The foam insert was still there and OK. I cleaned it. No sticker with oil spec's.

Rick

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
The foam insert was still there and OK. I cleaned it. No sticker with oil spec's.

Rick
Hmmm... I usually find when they are full of a gooey mess, it's the foam that has deteriorated and mixed with the oil to make a puddle of goo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts