Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, people were talking about the possibility of reviving STAR TREK TOS as an animated series, maybe even redoing the original animated series in CGI. I started to wonder what it would take fans to do something like this. Off and on over the last few months I've been trying to recreate the costumes. The images below were created with Poser, Carrara, and Paint Shop Pro. The models are the standard Jessie and James figures that come with Poser 6.

And some simple animation:

It turned out to be a little more involved than I expected. I started by trying to convert a sweater that came with Poser into the Captain's shirt. I ended up spending about 27 hours on it. A good part of that was figuring out how to do the braid.

I then bought an add-on for Poser to use on the Female uniform. I was able to create that in about 11 hours.

Using the same technique, I created the man's pants in 5 1/2 hours.

For some reason Poser doesn't come with any usable boots. Trying about four different techniques, I was able to create the woman's boots in about 8 1/2 hours. I was then able to do the man's boots in 4 hours.

A lot of this time was trial and error. Since I now have a better idea of how to do this stuff and there are a number of glitches in the props (like the ragged folds in the man's sleeve), I'd probably recreate everything from scratch if I wanted to continue with this.

But if anyone wants to do a graphic novel or animated film of THE ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN PIKE or CAPTAIN KIRK: YEAR ONE, and has the time and inclination to work with this, you can get the software for a few hundred dollars.

And if anyone is wondering, the figures are anatomically correct, so if someone wants to do their own version of "The Naked Time" or a story about Kirk and Spock's real relationship...

·
Starship Class
11,863 Posts
Jessie's hot but she walks like a man :freak:

Seriously: great work! Amazing that you're able to figure out that stuff in such a small amount of time!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments.

I've actually been playing around with this software for several years, but like my work with physical models, I tend to get interested in a new project while I'm in the middle of another one. I decided to try to recreate an already established design for two reasons:

1) I'd know when I was actually finished with it (or at least when I reached a point where the extra effort didn't result in a noticable improvement.)

2) It forced me to learn new techniques. For instance, I don't think I'd ever use something like the sleeve braid on an original design. But since that's part of this design, I had to figure out a way to make it look realistic without burning up too much CPU time in the animation and rendering. My final solution was to basically paint them on. Fortunately, in the virtual world you can paint on transparency, highlights, and bumps.

I'll probably be setting this aside for now as I work on some of my own projects. I may even complete one or two.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
PerfesserCoffee said:
Maybe I should have explained the backstory to that. You see, they are part of the crew sent to clean up Dr. Janice Lester's research base. The Captain and a young female engineer were looking over an ancient alien artifact when there was an unfortunate accident... :tongue:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
PerfesserCoffee said:
" Man hands! Man hands! It just totally ruins it for me!"

Sorry... Had a Seinfeld flashback! :tongue:

Seriously though, great work! Does Poser come with different walks for men and women though? Could you maybe have applied a "male" walk to the female by accident?

Please excuse the totally uneducated questions. Inquiring minds want to know!

Again though, incredible work. Both look fantastic.

If you aren't going to play with these file for awhile don't forget to back them up to DVD or whatever! Don't waste all those hours of fantastic work! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I remember correctly, I used a combination of "strut" and and "sexy walk" from Poser's walk designer. I was forced to move her arms away from her body since the hands were passing through her hips. Maybe that's the problem. Or maybe her strut is just a little to confident for some people here. :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I think the arms being held away from the body stiffly is the problem.
She looks ready to punch somebody.:eek:

Usually women walk with their arms hanging more loosely from the shoulders.

BTWay, I'm not trying to be critical, just explaining what makes the walk look a little off. Maybe try "sexy walk" without "strut?"

Anyhow, the walk is a miniscule thing that can be fixed quite easily.

What is incredible is the fantastic job you have done with the uniforms.

You know the little problems you had at probably near microscopic levels, but none of them are visible to us.

I'm quite serious about encouraging you to backup your work!

I've learned the hard way about loosing prized data!
I had once scanned and cleaned up perfectly the entire MoonBase Alpha Technical Manual along with several oversized TOS Trek Posters and Blueprints, only to have my hard drive fried by a surge!

You've put dozens apon dozens of hours of work into this and it shows!

Now buy a few DVD's and back it all up!:cool:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To be honest, the walk was just something I quickly threw together to demonstrate the capabilities of these programs.

The problems I'm having with the uniforms are more in functionality that appearance. I don't know how many attempts it took to get the man's left sleeve looking like it does in the second picture. And just be glad you can't see the bottom half of his shirt.

I've already backed this up, so you can stop worrying about that. Although, as I said, I'd probably start from scratch if I did anything more. Lately I've been using DAZ Studio's Michael and Victoria figures, which seem to be a little more flexible and easier to use than Jessie and James. Unfortunately, their geometries are different and most clothing props have to be made for a specific figure.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For those who thought Jessie walked like a man, I present:

Lt. Je'zee

One of the little-known chapters of galactic history was the brief Federation/Orion alliance. Although the officer exchange program was short-lived, it did result in the creation of the much-despised Celibacy Oath.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I really like seeing this stuff from you guys. I only hope that I will be able to do the same types of thing within the next nine months....You see, I am re-entering school to get my Computer Animation Technician Certificate. I will be learning Maya 8, and some of the editing software to author the finished animation for broadcast and such.

My local Technical College (North Metro Technical College, Acworth, GA) has started this program just this quarter, I start on Wednesday. The certificate has only 9 classes (two per quarter). They are hoping to have a degree program by Christmas, if so I may go for the whole tomale.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts