Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a few loose Holiday Classic cars with no grip clips. I was wondering if anyone knew where I might get several clips....I'd really like to get these on the tree this year.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
those grip clips get more brittle each year.2001 I busted one,in 2002 about 3,in 2003... 5...blah,blah *crack!*crap.

I've preached for a few years now, that a drill,...small bit and tiny eyelets,with standard wire ornament hangers are the best way to go.IMO

The eyelets are less obtrusive than the clips,shorter hang,so more stable on the branches,plus the plastic GripClips TM have a tendecy to scratch the colored chrome.

Soon,I hope to screw holes in every car I got........

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I would have to agree about not using them, to keep from scratching the paint. Also, the "gripclips" will not work on the VW bus or '40 Ford Sedan Delivery. The windows are too small for the bottom portion to go through.

My .02

JP2

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
How many do you need? I'm sure there are people here that will open them for display and not keep the grip clips. I did in the past but if I could find them now it would be a major miracle.

·
Registered
704 Posts
RobDog said:
I've preached for a few years now, that a drill,...small bit and... Soon,I hope to screw holes in every car I got........
Ack!!! I can't labotomize my babies! :jest:

·
Atomic Punk
4,323 Posts
JP2-NC-JL-CRAZY said:
I would have to agree about not using them, to keep from scratching the paint. Also, the "gripclips" will not work on the VW bus or '40 Ford Sedan Delivery. The windows are too small for the bottom portion to go through.

My .02

JP2
I got the VW to work. I posted pics back when I had it. There is no back window in the bus.

The plain string idea sound better for this year though. The plastic is kind of obtrusive. Of course, I don't know how well the tree will hold up this year. Last year we had a 1 year old and a dog that could care less about a tree in the house. This year we have a 2 year old that is into everything and 2 cats. CAN'T WAIT!!!

Oh yeah, I have a couple to spare if you want some of those clips. :wave:

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RobDog said:
I've preached for a few years now, that a drill,...small bit and tiny eyelets,with standard wire ornament hangers are the best way to go.IMO

The eyelets are less obtrusive than the clips,shorter hang,so more stable on the branches,plus the plastic GripClips TM have a tendecy to scratch the colored chrome.

Soon,I hope to screw holes in every car I got........
Hmmmm.....I seem to recall this. Got pics?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
40Intrepid said:
Didnt anyone else notice the cars are too heavy too hang on a tree anyway?
Make the branches bend down. :(
I think the branches of my little 4' artifical tree would probably handle them ok. Maybe you need to go with a blue spruce :p. This setup is going to look so cool with my lionel train running around under the tree with my JL box car :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
If you buy a tree every year,...take a couple ornaments with you, and model them on the branches so you get the right kind of tree!!

The idea about the colred string, or ribbons is great.

These cars look beautiful on the tree, and I make it a point to get them hung each year.

·
2011 VW NB Final Edition
2,031 Posts
I know you have seen these before, but here is how I displayed my JL Holiday cars. The mantle worked out great. Everyone loved it.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
My mother collects Christmas village stuff similar to those. Isn't it funny how the people always seem so large and out of scale? That setup looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I get the Christmas stuff for displays also, it looks great and is reasonably priced. Then ensues the horrible Dremel tool Christmas massacre for the out of scale people. Kmart has a sweet tree-house this year for $9.88 that goes good with the JL CJ Jeep, I'll see if I can get pictures later.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
They sure look purty with the blinking lights flashing on them.

SD64 - pm me if you need a few more hooks. I have a few lying around.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts