Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the VW apart, bought all my paint and materials, but when it came to sanding...UHG! Whoever said the paint was thin on a diecast wasn't kidding. Some light rubbing did more than just remove the shine...it took half the paint off.

Question is, do I have enough of a good surface after scuffing the overall paint this way to just paint over (since the car will be painted the same color it originally was, black), or do I need to get rid of the rest of the paint and do the whole priming thing?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Dragnet_Supporter said:
Got the VW apart, bought all my paint and materials, but when it came to sanding...UHG! Whoever said the paint was thin on a diecast wasn't kidding. Some light rubbing did more than just remove the shine...it took half the paint off.

Question is, do I have enough of a good surface after scuffing the overall paint this way to just paint over (since the car will be painted the same color it originally was, black), or do I need to get rid of the rest of the paint and do the whole priming thing?
Just make sure the you feather the spot(s) where you sanded through, you should be able to spray right overthe top of it with black or most Dark colors.

Be careful with the sanding, it's not hard to sand off details.

If you are just trying to take the shine off, try Testors Dull Cote or ModelMasters flat lacquer.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stupidsquirrels said:
Just make sure the you feather the spot(s) where you sanded through, you should be able to spray right overthe top of it with black or most Dark colors.

Be careful with the sanding, it's not hard to sand off details.

If you are just trying to take the shine off, try Testors Dull Cote or ModelMasters flat lacquer.
Hope this helps.
John, not exactly sure what you mean by "feathering." Can you elaborate?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Feathering is the smoothing of the edges where you sanded through the paint so that there is no noticable break from the area where the paint is unbroken to the area where it is not.

a very minor difference in hieght will show on some colors.

Try using a high grit 1500+ and a extremely light touch.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Picture this, you have your house that has who knows how many coats of paint on it, different colors or just multiples of the same.

when you put a 'hole' into it, the layers of paint will actually start to flake from eachother, leaving noticable 'straight lines' from where it flaked

Feathering is to blend in these layers with the bare metal.

Granted with a Diecast car, there might only be 1 layer of paint (unsure, never sanded one) so you just basicly have to make sure there are not rough edges and its a smooth transition to the metal

G

·
For light paint scuffing, those tough thin pot-scrubber pads work really well. The dark-green type; I think they're nylon. Rub gently. :wave:

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
For all of my customs I use super-mega heavy duty stripper and strip all the paint off, clean the stripper off with paint thinner, then clean that off with fantastic, then rinse, dry off the bulk and let it air dry completely. Then I start in with a light coat of primer and 320 grit sandpaper, then with the paint. I have had much better results taking all the paint off, seems to not hide the details as much. Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Dragnet_Supporter said:
John, not exactly sure what you mean by "feathering." Can you elaborate?
Sorry DS, I had to cut out to work.
2manetoys explained it quite well though.
I've used those potscrubbers, but I've lost tampo detail I'd hoped to preserve. Find what works for you, then all you need is a little practice.
If at 1st you don't succeed, blah,blah,blah.

I've Had PIPs that took 6-7 trys before I got the result I was looking for, but one of coolest things about what I do is that in trying to correct mistakes, I'll run across something that is better than what I was trying for.
Post pics of your end result, Is this your first try?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
stupidsquirrels said:
Sorry DS, I had to cut out to work.
2manetoys explained it quite well though.
I've used those potscrubbers, but I've lost tampo detail I'd hoped to preserve. Find what works for you, then all you need is a little practice.
If at 1st you don't succeed, blah,blah,blah.

I've Had PIPs that took 6-7 trys before I got the result I was looking for, but one of coolest things about what I do is that in trying to correct mistakes, I'll run across something that is better than what I was trying for.
Post pics of your end result, Is this your first try?
That's preyty much the way it is for all projects involving some creativity. I've got the overall paint scuffed down, so no feathering of remaining solid painted areas here. Since the paint was pretty thin and the car is 1/24 scale, I don't think I need to worry about covering details. If the paint doesn't cover right, I'll move on to total removal and priming from there. Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
This is why i recommended the OO gauge steel wool and some very lite scuffing! Skip the sand paper. You could even go to a OOO gauge if you wanna really get anal ......Opps... can I say that? LOL

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
viperdave said:
This is why i recommended the OO gauge steel wool and some very lite scuffing! Skip the sand paper. You could even go to a OOO gauge if you wanna really get anal ......Opps... can I say that? LOL
Yep, I thought of your words as soon as the sandpaper botched it. That paint is reeeeaal thin. Live and learn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.