Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My five year-old is a huge HP fan and is fascinated with the Hogwarts Express, "...Dad, is the Hogwarts Express coming" he asks each morning while we wait for the school bus.

I'd like to see if I can't build him a replica of the Hogwarts Express. I've seen some Revell plastic model kits of locomotives in the stores over the years and though that would be a good place to start for a scale model. Not interested in HO, N, 2mm, 4mm, 7mm, etc scale electric or working engines. Here's what I know so far:

1. Real HE is a Great Western Railways 4900 Hall Class, specifically the "Olton Hall".
2. Marklin, Hornby, and Bachman make various iterations of the engine in electric format. Some accurate to the Hall class and some "not".
3. Some scale models exist; namely the offering from Longhedge Locomotive in the UK.

I'd like to see if I can't find a plastic model kit of the Hall, if it exists. If not, I may get in touch with the Longhedge folks and see what their resin copy costs. So if anyone on the list knows of such a thing in existence, please help a brother out!

Also, if anyone else knows of anyone who's done this before with regards to making a scale HE, I wouldn't mind learning from their efforts if possible.

Thanks, I know there's some out-of-this-world scale working replicas of the Hall out there using steam or part-for-part fabrication projects in work as well. I'm just looking for something styrene preferably and "affordable"

Thanks

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Why not go with one of the more accurate electric sets? You can always display it when it's not running, and model trains are great fun for kids (and adults).

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Marklin set looks to be the best just from internet images so far, but also the most expensive and I'm not looking to spend more than $50 on the loco if possible.

Also, the scale, about 18" inches I think, is a tad small. I'd like to see if we couldn't get a 1/24 'ish if one exists. If not, then it will be one of those electric trains. But, Mommy will be a little upset at the cost of a full starter set just to get a display train. My space considerations don't allow for train set at this time either :-(

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Classic European Steam and quality equipment = $$$$. Don't skimp, as the cheaper Steam locos will run poorly.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't disagree that the Marklin would run better, but I'm not looking for a running model. Just a static model if one exists. Thanks.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like paper models, but in this case I'd like to to get a solid scale model bigger than HO or N scale. I don't think it's going to exist for a reasonable price for a display model.

The Londghedge website is actually what first started me going down this path and not the commercially packaged "Harry Potter" trains sets. Waaay expensive and add to that that the website hasn't been updated since November 1996.

I figured, hey -they have those Revell styrene locomotive kits at Hobby Lobby all the time, there just may be a chance they'd have an Oulton. Just maybe.

Guess not. :-(

Thanks Toyroy

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
mb1k said:
I like paper models, but in this case I'd like to to get a solid scale model bigger than HO or N scale. I don't think it's going to exist for a reasonable price for a display model...

I figured, hey -they have those Revell styrene locomotive kits at Hobby Lobby all the time, there just may be a chance they'd have an Oulton...
Revell's kits are HO scale. Airfix, at least at one time, made OO scale British-prototype locomotive kits in injection-molded styrene. But, they'll be fragile.

How about modifying one of the Thomas the Tank Engine toys? They're British prototype, robust, come in a variety of scales, and are cheap and easy to get?

Also, I believe Lego makes a larger-scale Hogwart's Express loco.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the legos already :)

I'm looking to do something museum worthy for display. Thanks for all the recommendations brothers...

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
As for me, you're welcome. I think your five-yr.-old will be frustrated by a museum-quality model he can't touch. Whatever he CAN touch, you've got to figure is, at best, toast, and at worst, a deadly weapon.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm pretty surprised. We got him a Master Replicas F/X lightsaber, he loves Luke's green saber from ROTJ and told him it was for show only. He's not touched it ever without asking permission. When he does we pretend to duel and tap blades lightly. He loves the glow and the sound, and he's been very good at not touching it. He doesn't touch my models either and they're where he can get to them.

He might do the same thing given an HP model. But I do know if I put together the HP Lego Express, he WILL PLAY with it. That's why I'm holding off till he's 11 or so and able to prove to me he can not lose any pieces.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
theres also an officially licecened electric hogwarts express train set (its from the first movie, but a local store still has some)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts