Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Here are some pics of the 1/48th Hobuggy that I built a few years back. Just took some better pics of it for one of my friends, so thought I would show 'em off.
Did a bit of extra detailing on this one to make it look more like it was shown on the box art.

Thanks for looking

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I no nothing of Anime, but that's pretty cool looking! Sure wouldn't want to be next to that weapon when it was fired. :drunk: If that's what it is.

You did a good buid and a great paint job too!!

HAL9001-

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I used to have this, don't know what happened to it.

Yours is is a really nice version of it. I like all the subtle weathering on it. The mounting works very well!

·
Starship Class
11,937 Posts
I like that--cool design and well executed to boot! I've never seen the anime version of it and have no idea about the story line nor how accurate your version is but it's a very neat design and looks realistic to me. I especially like the side mounted cannon and the nicely detailed tripod landing gear. The weathering is just right--very good touch. :thumbsup:

The name of the vehicle is a little rough, however. Just because a girl is piloting it doesn't make it right to refer to her in a derogatory manner. I suppose some of the later anime series are getting a little too "hip" for their own good. :freak:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Lahg is the girl, and she's standing on the base.
Jiron is a guy, and he's seated at the controls.

And hobuggy could well be a contraction of Hover-buggy. And while I do have the unbuilt kit, I've not watched the anime series -- I just thought it was a cool-looking kit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Mecha_Xabungle

It's from 2005... depends on how you define later.

As to the name, it does say so right on the box:
http://s19.photobucket.com/home/SiaoMouse/tag/Xabungle model kit

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN937924

:cool:

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
It's VERY well done to the anime, even a bit more detailed.

That's meant to be a Stinger shoulder fired missile launcher hanging on the side, usually used against enemy Walker Machines. It can be dismounted.

Hobuggy is, pretty obviously, a contraction word for 'hover buggy'

On some versions the gas tanks (bulges in front of the thrust disc area) are painted white.

The nose skid is retracted in flight (more to simplify the animation than any real practical reason)

The second 'segment' behind the pilot seat can be removed and exposes a second seat.

The world of Xabungle is made of 'old busted' machines made to work in a dusty dirty 'Neo Old West' environment. It may be logical to assume that the Hobuggy had an enclosed canopy when it was originally designed, removed (or outright omitted in new manufacture) due to the practical realities of use.

I love the design. It's one of those classic anime "well, it SHOULD work!" flying machines.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you all for the compliments on my build, it is one that turned out pretty much as I had hoped.

I have never seen Xabungle, just built as I thought it should look from the cool art on the box top.

As far as "it should work" goes, I keep thinking that the torque from the huge lift fan would just spin it around!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts