Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our son in law is and R/C nut and was trolling his local hobby shop. He has been a member of my slot searching minions for some time. He stumbled on this pile for "fiddy bucks".

The first row is pretty cherry. The semi is fully functional save for the light. The orange Too Much will get melted down for spray and the 'Vette is less than shabby. '56 ford PU needs chrome. I havent washed anything yet.

Out of nine assembled chassis, eight came back to life with minimal tinkering. Brushes in upside down, wrong pick up springs, etc... the usual stuff. Naturally all the tires were KFC extra crispy! I havent investigated the spare parts pile yet but I'm guessing four or five more can be completed with a little help from my parts department. The spare chassis are unburnt and unporked. :thumbsup:

Of course it came with the obligatory wad of used AFX Track and accessories all scrambled in an original box. Not sure whats what yet, but I do know the '55 is an RPG. I poked a different gearplate in it with a Galinko Arm I'd been saving for a special occasion. :p

Not the best deal ever but out in the final frontier, AKA the PacNW, beggars can't be chooser's.

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Maybe not your best deal but a good one none the less. Congrats to your son in law. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: rr

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Who says relatives aren't good for something?

Nice find, I'd have dropped $50 and felt good about it too!

·
Duke Dave of Sealand
2,879 Posts
Good load for fiddy bucks Amigo, thats was a easy yeee haw ya scored Buddy.. now how do I get my Son-ln-law to find Grumpy some old cars for that good a deal....

Gotta go squegge out the neighbourhood...lol

Coach

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Nice haul, Bill. Its not a steal but it was worth every penny no doubt. Never seen that Magnum stock car before.

You said you were in the NW, where about? Im in PDX.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys

SplitPoster said:
Who says relatives aren't good for something?...
Yes I'm very lucky! Both my stepson and my son in law are class acts. One is 6'5 the other is 6'11. They use my head for an end table at family functions when I sit between them. They are my hired goons. Although I'm slowly shrinking from 6'1, the twin towers combined with my old age and treachery makes us a formidable posse.

Like Scott alluded to, this pile came from a hobby store no less. This store is a husband and wife team. The husband's side is R/C heavy, the wife's side is arts and crafts.

It's a pretty good 'lil store but the slot car representation is sorely lacking. Tomy nascars, the usual Fast and Furious cars, and token parts in the form of pitkits. Consignments of junk are probably just a courtesy thing.

There will be a little something extra in Jason's Xmas stocking this year.
He quickly celled me from the store and described the cars, as well as answering all my specific Q's. I told him to buy on the spot as I roughly figured the front row of cherrys was worth the ante and anything else was frosting on the cake!

The added bonus was the squeaky clean extra chassis and parts. My inventory was down to nuthin'. Once I get a tire order together, I'll have an AFX hoe down some weekend and finish them up.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Not the best deal ever

Great deal! When you say not best deal ever, you've had better? Or are you talking about buying Manhattan for $24 in beads and trinkits? I go to garage sales only to find the Shadow 101 as a rare slot car at the price of a dinner at a fine restaurant!

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bumper! I should have been more specific. I was comparing it to some of the deals posted prior on the HT board. There have been a few doozies.

I've snagged a few good little "deals" here and there, but much like you I dont have much luck at garage sales. I see mostly broken up Tyco turds if anything. It's also insult to injury as my wife drags home stuff we dont need as well. Doubly counter productive! LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts