Hobbyist Forums banner

Hobby Shop in January

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  StarCruiser 
#1 ·
I went to my local hobby shop the other day, it is like going back in time. This place is not Hobby Lobby, but a real hobby shop with reissues of model kits from the 60's and 70's on the shelves. I always get a kick out of seeing Moebius, and AMT reissues of Star Trek, The Phantom of the Opera, on the wall of new kits.

I don't buy as many kits anymore, I have a stockpile, but I go there for supplies, and spend a great deal of money yearly on them. But there is another reason to support them, I love the sights and smells of the store, anything I need to finish a kit is there without having to go on line, also a great staff who I can ask questions and advice, and a community of like minded people, this the heart and soul of brick and mortar, whether if it's a record store, book store, or video rental store, all have suffered in this buy online mindset.

Support your local hobby shop while you still can.

#8 ·
Wild Bill's is still the most diverse location. Roys and T&T come to mind initially. The others are more RC and train focused but you can get supplies and kits there (maybe not the type kits you are looking for though.)

It was a shame MALs closed. The train/hobby shop over near Wichita Falls is gone now too. I cant remember the name of the one in Longview I used to visit. But, didnt a new shop open in Tyler recently? :lurk5:

Commercially, HobbyTown USA has the local hobby show feel, but not the service. And you are on your own at HobbyLobby, but they have lots of products and supplies if you venture to the other aisles. They dont follow the traditional hobbystore layout. :cheers2:

Some of the vendors at the North Dallas Toy Show have vintage model kits, but they either dont attend consistently or vary there offerings monthly. (Held the first Saturday of each month. As a landmark - their location is a few exits to the West of the Gallarie on 635. A HobbyTown and a train shop in addison are not that far away.)

:cheers2:

#17 ·
Wild Bill's is still the most diverse location.
If you haven't been to Wild Bill's recently, you might be surprised to learn that it was bought by Hobbytown USA. It still carries the Wild Bill name (along with the HobbyTown name) and is in the same location, but the interior has been totally redone. On the plus side, they put in a lot of new lights and you can actually walk down the aisles without tripping over something.

#9 ·
I neglected to give a shout out to my local hobby shop, AAA Hobbies in Magnolia NJ, a full-service hobby shop. Not too far from Mega Hobby, the huge on line store, in the same area. I am so blessed to live where I live. Remember our hobby is Ride or Die!!!!!!

#10 ·
Hobby Shops

I live in a small town in Oregon, so if I get to a hobby shop, I head to the Portland area. When I lived in Minnesota (and whenever I go back there to visit) I ALWAYS make time to visit "Scale Model Supply", one of the LARGEST hobby shops I have ever been to. It's located in the basement of a Napa Auto Parts store.
AND I always make time to visit a White Castle Hamburger "joint". And even though I spend most of my Minnesota visit in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area, I ALWAYS make the hour or so trip to St. Cloud, MN for my favorite pizza (that I discovered back in the early 70s, attending college there) at "House of Pizza"!.

#13 ·
All we have in Toledo is one HobbyTown USA and the crafts stores. Like a lot of you, I don't buy many kits these days; mostly its aftermarket stuff for the models I already have. I still need to crate some more stuff up and sell them at IPMS shows. I do try to go to the dedicated hobby store for supplies - paints, glue, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.