Hobbyist Forums banner

Hobby Shop in January

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  StarCruiser 
#1 ·
I went to my local hobby shop the other day, it is like going back in time. This place is not Hobby Lobby, but a real hobby shop with reissues of model kits from the 60's and 70's on the shelves. I always get a kick out of seeing Moebius, and AMT reissues of Star Trek, The Phantom of the Opera, on the wall of new kits.

I don't buy as many kits anymore, I have a stockpile, but I go there for supplies, and spend a great deal of money yearly on them. But there is another reason to support them, I love the sights and smells of the store, anything I need to finish a kit is there without having to go on line, also a great staff who I can ask questions and advice, and a community of like minded people, this the heart and soul of brick and mortar, whether if it's a record store, book store, or video rental store, all have suffered in this buy online mindset.

Support your local hobby shop while you still can.

#9 ·
I neglected to give a shout out to my local hobby shop, AAA Hobbies in Magnolia NJ, a full-service hobby shop. Not too far from Mega Hobby, the huge on line store, in the same area. I am so blessed to live where I live. Remember our hobby is Ride or Die!!!!!!

#10 ·
Hobby Shops

I live in a small town in Oregon, so if I get to a hobby shop, I head to the Portland area. When I lived in Minnesota (and whenever I go back there to visit) I ALWAYS make time to visit "Scale Model Supply", one of the LARGEST hobby shops I have ever been to. It's located in the basement of a Napa Auto Parts store.
AND I always make time to visit a White Castle Hamburger "joint". And even though I spend most of my Minnesota visit in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area, I ALWAYS make the hour or so trip to St. Cloud, MN for my favorite pizza (that I discovered back in the early 70s, attending college there) at "House of Pizza"!.

#13 ·
All we have in Toledo is one HobbyTown USA and the crafts stores. Like a lot of you, I don't buy many kits these days; mostly its aftermarket stuff for the models I already have. I still need to crate some more stuff up and sell them at IPMS shows. I do try to go to the dedicated hobby store for supplies - paints, glue, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.