Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...I had an idea....what if we had a place to go (like a sticky on this forum that was categorized) to see if there are any hobby shops in the area or other online shops that had websites that people could reference to find kits and to support the hobby?

Was thinking about this as I travel quite a bit and love to shop at regular hobby shops that sell plastic model kits and supplies.

What do you think? Maybe make a list of Name, complete address with zip code so you can find it using programs like mapquest etc..., phone number, country for the international community and website url for online shops.

I know that there are litterally hundreds of shops but would this be helpful?

Let me know...and then we can figure out how to get it done...

MMM

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,050 Posts
Hobby Shop Locator

See, this is yet another reason why youse guys should join the IPMS. Then you could become Black Swamp Modelers. Then you'd be posting your photos on the BSM web site and contributing articles just like this one: http://members.toast.net/blackswampmodelers/HobbyShop.html.

Mark McG.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark,

I knew that there was this stuff to be found somewhere...just thought that HobbyTalk could offer the same type of things...

Hey...btw: great site!

I'm afraid that there is no local IPMS for me to join. And if there was...no SIG groups that I have found that do what you and I do...only 3 A's groups...so now what?

MMM

·
Premium Member
6,050 Posts
...I'm afraid that there is no local IPMS for me to join. And if there was...no SIG groups that I have found that do what you and I do...only 3 A's groups...so now what?
Triple M,

Nothing could be simpler. In order to locate the closest chapter to you, go to the IPMS/USA web site: http://www.ipmsusa.org/. Click on the "Chapter & RC Directory"; that'll bring up a map of the USA. You're in Region 2 (the tan area), so if you click there, you'll get a list of all the chapters in NJ and surrounding areas in Region 2. Hopefully you'll find one that suits.

The Black Swamp Modelers special interest group exists primarily on its web site. If you take a peak at the info on the Home page and noodle around the Articles, you'll learn all there is to know about how the SIG functions and what it will take to join. I guarantee that the BSM will suit anyone who goes to site from here!

ochronosis said:
...I hadn't even heard of the IPMS, let alone know there was a UK branch...
My dear fellow,

We are after all discussing the International Plastic Modelers Society. The UK has a huge national show every year that I know of, and smaller ones frequently appear in FineScale Modeler magazine's Events Calendar. I just looked up their web site: http://www.ipms-uk.co.uk/. They have a Sci-Fi/Fantasy SIG but, if it doesn't tickle your fancy, there's always the BSM.

Same goes for everybody else on the boards!

Mark McG.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks Mark,

I'm pretty new to this hobby, compared with a lot of you guys

You learn something new every day ;) I'm not alone in the UK, there are more model freaks :freak: like me :woohoo:

Simon :)

·
Premium Member
6,050 Posts
...You learn something new every day...
Which means, it doesn't matter how long you've been building models, there's always something new you can learn. If you're like me, ochr, you'll find you've broadened your modeling horizon immeasurably by getting involved with the IPMS.

Best of luck,

Mark McG.

·
Premium Member
6,050 Posts
Back atcha, buds.

Actually, between the various modeling shows and the Internet, I've blown away simply by the opportunity to see everybody else's work. Used to be, I would build my models in solitude; now I can see plenty of different strategies and outcomes for building the same kits anytime I want (pending the requirements of my role as a hubby and happy homeowner, that is).

Mark McG.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I know how you feel Mark,

Before joining this forum, I would build a kit 'just for something to do'. Now, I take pride in building, when I get the chance. I am grateful for all those people who have taken time out to show and explain the techniques they use to create what I would say in some cases are masterpeices. Each time I log in there is another finished kit that blows me away. You guys are masters at what you do and I hope you go on building and showing your work for as long as old Father permits :)

Simon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts