Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 432 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to wake up all the oval guys, and remind them to blow the dust off their stuff, because indoor season is only a few weeks away. With ROAR Region 5's in October you guys might want to get a leg up on the competition.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Ahhh! A new carpet season. The smell of paragon. The sound of Douggy's voice crying. The smiling face of Nick. His dad turning the heat down. We could go on.
I am thinking of four cell stock and playing around with a Legend. Some nineteen turn. I am going to run an Arcor motor this year. I am going to buy a new car but don't know what I want. There are alot of nice ones out there. Maybe I will run the old Woods car and use the money to get some awsome batteries. Three hundred bucks should get a couple of bomb pacs. I am ready! Lets race.
Lets here some chatter. Whats on your mind? What do ya have for batteries? What motor and car ya running?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
MEL - I have your points series trophy mug. If you ever want to see it alive .... uh .... I mean ceramic again, bring $1.37 in small, unmarked bills to Rider's in Grand Rapids on saturday. And bring your car too, so you can race it. Also bring VERY LARGE pinion gears.

And you are NOT running stock!!!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Mel, you should get that "new" Racetech Extreme car. From the pictures on the net, you shouldn't have any trouble setting it up.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
kevinm said:
And you are NOT running stock!!!
Mel,
All us got together over the summer (with you!) and decided you have to run MOD when there is a class and running a stock motor in the 19T class so the rest of us have a chance this year. :tongue:

I can't keep letting you beat me, your older than me! :D LoL

Oh yeah, I got these killer batteries for you. For $80 a 4-cell pack they are GP 3900's with 2.18 Volts and 560 seconds of run time at 60 amps. I don't put labels on them so only team drivers know what they "really" are. LMK if you interested. I match them on my Turbo30 (which I modified myself!)

Speaking of cars........ I got just the car for you....... Shoot me an e-mail. And Smitty too.....if you guys want to keep up with me and my new (freakin' awesome!) batteries this year, you can't keep driving those old relics.....are they older than you? :devil:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
OK OK...

Lets talk about battery and motor claim rules!!! :roll:

Just kidding... I don't want to get run out of town on a rail...

But seriously... Mel... you aren't running no 'stock' this year... Heck I
don't think I will run any 'stock' this year...

But what abut 19 Turn? is this year going to be "any 19 turn"? Such as quad magnet 19 turn motors or any other type that someone might bring with them? Or even old cranked Chameleon motors??? Anyone got a D5 based ARCOR motor yet? What if I get one of them there 'spec' 19 turn motors and cut off the timing lock tab and crank it up? What exactly is going to be acceptable?

(I sucpect that as long as I remain near the back of the pack, you guys won't really care what I run... )

SATURDAY.... Saturday... Oval racing on Saturday... (please)

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I'll probably show no more then once a month on Friday nights, my wife would likely kill me if I started to run more then that... maybe every other Friday at
the most. If there were Saturday races... I'd run more.

How about trying to get at least one Saturday race a month?

I'm basicly leaning towards run ANY 19 turn... meaning literaly ANY 19 turn... wether it be a hybrid or what ever... basicly as long as it's got some 'offical' tag on the arm that says it's only got 19 turns, then it's OK... Other wise we pretty much get into a situaion where we (as a group) would have to decide one or the other... ARCOR/ROAR or 'spec'... I got a feeling we could never agree on what should be the 'one' choice... and as long as people are able to run a 'cranked' anything... then really you have very little choice but to allow virtualy anything.

Meanwhile... if your going to run the ROAR regional race... then I guess you'd better have at least ONE ROAR legal 19 turn motor in your box...

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
DynoMoHum said:
Meanwhile... if your going to run the ROAR regional race... then I guess you'd better have at least ONE ROAR legal 19 turn motor in your box...
Don't worry.... I have legal ones too.... LoL :)

I also would vote for the "whatever 19T" class. As a group, most of us in Lansing know each other pretty well, and if someone was cheating hardcore we would know. Like if I tossed a 12 turn D4 arm in my Arcornite. I think somebody would notice that I was fast. The unfortunate side is that, to be fast, I probably will need a 12turn in an Arcornite can. LoL

(just kidding!) Don't want people to think that I cheat.......... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glenn, I am going to keep Friday nights as the primary Oval night. I am, however, looking to run more oval races on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
19 turn whatever is my vote. My guess is that everyone will migrate to whatever is fastest anyway.
I've got a d5 19 turn Glenn, What ARCOR is doing now though is limiting the timing to 36 degrees, so I don't know if theres a huge advatage to them over the D4. Reedy KR cans can be used, but with standup brushes. People used them at the 2003 Carpet Oval Nats as far as I know.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Ok... so then it seems that the only advantage the D5 ARCOR motors had was that the timing could be cranked further then the TI motors?

But then the question still remains... What is ROAR going to allow now? That is... ROAR hasn't got any timing restrictions in their rules do they?

One of my issues in getting ready for this season is this ROAR regional race... I'd like to have a 19 turn that takes advantage of what ever RULES we will have to abide by in that perticular race... After October 19th... I say anyting goes... Then again... I never cranked my timing past about 28 degrees anyway...

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
How about we use Roar or Arcor rules for nineteen turn. I will be getting one of the Arcor motors and that is what I will use this year. No more cranked ones for me.
Kevin I am old and gray and the speed is getting to much for me. Even Jake said I was old.
Glen Glad to hear about the wife. I wish you both good fortune.
Nick You going to carry parts for them Racetecs?
Jake I'm telling Greg you said he was old and slow but don't worry I got your back.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mel- if you can find a picture of the new Racetech, I think many of the parts you have will fix it. It looks an alot like a Woods X-13. :D

As for the 19T class, these will be the rules as follows:

Any 19T motor (arcor, chameleon, Reedy 19T Spec)

No maximium timing rules

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Cool... now we even got the 19 turn rules sorted out....

I assume Nick's stated rules don't apply to the ROAR regional race and that only 19 turn motors with stand up brushes will be allowed in the ROAR competiton...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
ROAR does have a 36 degree rule which was in place at the Region five race at the velo

Also if you guys could post some info about the region five race such as hotels, directions, practice times, and agenda for the weekend that would be great.

Thanks

-Monti-

1 - 20 of 432 Posts