Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The club I race with wants to go backwards next year, and switch back to stock g+ tires from open tires. Guys that did not want to buy the silicone's where getting there a__ kicked. My question is, does hudy make an adapter for a tire truer, or does someone else make something to cut ho tires? ALSO, what is a good tire softening agent for these tires? any tricks for this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Great questions. This could be an excellent thread. I'll add a question if you don't mind... How effective is throttling up while gently holding the car down on sandpaper?

·
Duke Dave of Sealand
2,879 Posts
I restored some hard ancient tires using the crap ya get from auto shops to spray on your 1:1tires. softened them up quite a bit, if I remeber when i get my next day off ( next monday so far) I will pull some of the cars I used it on out of the storage cases and check them see how they held up, for all I know right now they may have disolved lol..

Dave

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Are we talking hollow super g tires?

If so, I wonder what would happen if you'd scuffed 'em them put a coating of flowable silicone on? It will get rid of the "cupped" tread if done right.

Come to think of it, I tried it a long time ago with some early series "lumpy" JL tuffie tires, and it did wonders.

:cool:

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Flintstone or Firestone...you make the call

They're just icky any way you slice it. Those morphidite internally flanged rims and tires make a very satisfying sound when ya toss them in the trash.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Hudy does make a tire truer. They are expensive.

Softening up your tires chemically is possible. Where I race chemically softened tires are "illegal" and the savvy group of racers is going to spot the doctored tires right off the bat. If the intent is to level the playing field on a particular piece of equipment, like tires, then just stick with the plan and outdrive the other guys on stock tires. I personally think that silicone tires are more cost effective in the long term, but it all comes down to why the rule is being enforced and what's best for your group.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
but it all comes down to why the rule is being enforced and what's best for your group.
yup....especially the "why" part.

And logic would pretty much follow that if they're ditching silicones cuz they don't want to spend a couple dollars on tires, they aren't going to take too well to someone smoothing their skins a hundred dollar or more contraption.

Actually...come to think of it...why not just offer to supply the group with slip-on setups? It'd be cheaper than buying a good tire truer. Then see how things stack up at the checkered flag. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
641 Posts
This idea makes too much sense. :lol:
Actually...come to think of it...why not just offer to supply the group with slip-on setups? It'd be cheaper than buying a good tire truer. Then see how things stack up at the checkered flag. :thumbsup:
It's really quite sad with all the high performance parts available,
that this club don't want to tune their slot cars for racing competitions.
To improve their performance and position during races.

The ones that don't maybe should be satisfied with just doing laps.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It is sad, but sometimes there are legitimate issues even with something as basic as tires. Availability is a big one as sales have gotten pushed more and more to the 'net while not everyone has the ability to order online. It's not unusual to have a field of say a dozen racers where only 25% can buy online, so it's a good idea for those who propose part upgrades to be able to supply those parts if needed.

Then you get issues where there is no supply...I know of a certain tire that hasn't been made for a good three years now, and they are proven to shave huge amounts of time off laps. The only guys that can run them are those who bought large quantities when they were on the market, and they will rarely sell off a pair or two. Given two compatible cars, the one with these tires will almost always win. After a while it can become a big issue.

The other thing some guys worry about is "where does it stop?". Tires one month, shoes the next, then gears, etc, etc...before long they start envisioning crazy things like hundred dollar T-Jets. :lol:

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Whats yer time worth?

It is sad, but sometimes there are legitimate issues even with something as basic as tires. Availability is a big one as sales have gotten pushed more and more to the 'net while not everyone has the ability to order online. It's not unusual to have a field of say a dozen racers where only 25% can buy online, so it's a good idea for those who propose part upgrades to be able to supply those parts if needed.

Then you get issues where there is no supply...I know of a certain tire that hasn't been made for a good three years now, and they are proven to shave huge amounts of time off laps. The only guys that can run them are those who bought large quantities when they were on the market, and they will rarely sell off a pair or two. Given two compatible cars, the one with these tires will almost always win. After a while it can become a big issue.

The other thing some guys worry about is "where does it stop?". Tires one month, shoes the next, then gears, etc, etc...before long they start envisioning crazy things like hundred dollar T-Jets. :lol:
Yeah Gene, God forbid they would pool their lunch money and order a coupla sets of rims and a sized assortment of slip ons for everyone. Obviously a pathway to purchasing on the web exists, given that the question is before us in public forum.

What they are really lacking is not rims and tires, they lack what all successful groups have at their foundation and cannot be written into a rule set...compromise and cooperation for a greater good.

...which BTW are free :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Bill, I would agree... and also disagree, mostly because as I said
The other thing some guys worry about is "where does it stop?".
Having hosted my fair share of races, I can say this is a real concern to alot of people. This has come up in conversation many times, it's not a hunch. It's not really fair to suggest anyone is lacking of scrupples as most people are in it for fun and friendships but it is competitive as well, people just get tired of losing all the time, especially to the same two or three people who's boxes are chock full of the latest and greatest doodads.

Another way of looking at the original topic...it could be that (A) the group did take a majority vote (which, failing compromise, is the next best step to a "common good") and created a rule limiting tires and (B) the OP now fears that he will lose his competitive edge so he comes here looking for a crutch. ("Guys that did not want to buy the silicone's where getting there a__ kicked. ")

Of course since we are only listening to one member of the group, we can't really judge the situation either way.

The sad irony is that when parity is established and the bottom half of the field suddenly starts pulling up....that's when a group starts to see problems...that's when certain pockets start getting deeper annd the whole thing falls apart.

Like I said, the fair solution would be to offer up a set or two to those who can't get them...for whatever reason they can't. Then hit the track and see who is making excuses after the dust clears.

old school racr...if you really want to make a statement, play by the rules and show 'em you can kick their ___ anyway.
After that they'd probably jump on the opportunity to run silicones. :thumbsup:

AfxToo... :lol:

·
Registered
67 Posts
The club I race with wants to go backwards next year, and switch back to stock g+ tires from open tires. Guys that did not want to buy the silicone's where getting there a__ kicked. My question is, does hudy make an adapter for a tire truer, or does someone else make something to cut ho tires? ALSO, what is a good tire softening agent for these tires? any tricks for this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
If you already have a HUDY tire truer for your HO tires you can get a rear tire mandrel from Lucky Bob's (I got three of them) for about $10.00 each. Just have to call as they aren't listed.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tire truing

The problem we have at the club is there are some guys, who basically are lazy, and want to put there cars away after racing, and pull them out next week and run up front. AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! I told them clearly this week, If you think running junk tires will help even the competition, it won't, because people like myself, who have a weekly maintenance night,will still kick your butt ,even if we use "ROCKS FROM THE DRIVEWAY". That went over as well as you guys may think. But it is true. You can't rule the zero's to keep up with guys who have raced everything from real latemodels to rc to 1/24 and ho. it just won't happen. After pissing some of them off, I said why not spec a tire that the person who wins the most races this year runs, and let each person pick what size they want to go with? we will see next week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tire truing

SWAMPER GENE I wanted to mentioned something that i forgot.You wrote "play buy the rules". They said stock tires, "do what you want no restriction as long as they are the stock tire". Well I don't know anyone who would not do everything inside the rules to win. I would not, and do not cheat, because that is not winning. Scott

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
We have a slip on rule at our races,and yes some guys just put thier cars away and hope they go faster.The slip on rule works for us and keeps racing cheaper.Try running a qualifier race,we do 1 min heat races,and then break off into an A and a B main so the racers are running with people who are running close lap times.This makes for closer more exiting races.People are acutally racing and not just getting blown by.It works for us, I got away from it for awile,but now we have returned to it.And everyone likes it.Sometimes the B main is better than the A.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
tires tires tires...we use slip ons in my beer legue kinda club.we have not yet turned rules oriented,so i guess we are kinda sunday driving buddies who enjoy the occasional wobbly pop accompanied by a few laps arond the track.my friend who owns the manshed where our ho layout is located,sells us tires sometimes if he has extras.he is an avid ebayer and seller,and gets great deals on all sorts of stuff.i think cooperation and generosity are second to none,no matter what your endeavor.if you guys could decide on a rear end that you like,and do a group order online,it would be very cost effective for everyone in the club,and avoid one guy having to fork out for everyone else,in the hopes of being reimbursed.and if they don't tune their cars before race night,they deserve to be race fodder.(just kidding...kinda...)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts