Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I made one of my usual stops at Goodwill looking for slot stuff, and they had this Scalextric 1/32 set for 25 bucks.

I tried really hard to talk myself out of it. I even left the store. But it was calling to me, and when I went back and the guy who I saw looking at it after I walked away hadn't bought it, I took it as a sign that I was meant to have it. So I brought it home and set it up on the kitchen table to see what all worked...

I had to dig the braid gizmos out from under the loose guard rail retainers in the bottom of the box, but after I figured out how they snapped over the guide flag, we were in business. Both cars and controllers work, but there's some stuff I'm trying to figure out, and the only paperwork that came with it appears to be a layout guide to get you to buy extra track. So maybe some of the 1/32 experts here can help me out:

1. How come the blue car worked on either lane, but the purple one only worked on the inside lane? Does that have to do with the switch on the terminal track, or the jumper wires under the terminal track, or something else?

2. Is the idea with the switch that you can get a second power supply and plug it in to the second power inlet and flip that switch and have each lane use an isolated power supply?

3. Do the magnets come out of these cars? I'd like them to slide a little more but I haven't had time to diddle with them...

4. Does an adapter exist to connect this track to REEEEEEALLY old Scaley track? My uncle gave me a big box that he had in the late 60s...

5. Is this one of those systems that runs on AC so that the two cars can run on one lane?

6. Anything else cool you all can tell me about my find?

I would have posted this in 1/32, but it seems kind of slow in there...

thanks in advance for any help!

--rick

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oops. false alarm on #4 about the adapter track. the old track i have is Strombecker, not Scalextric. duh... kinda like mixing up Pontiac with Porsche based on the first letter, i know...

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
1. How come the blue car worked on either lane, but the purple one only worked on the inside lane? Does that have to do with the switch on the terminal track, or the jumper wires under the terminal track, or something else?

2. Is the idea with the switch that you can get a second power supply and plug it in to the second power inlet and flip that switch and have each lane use an isolated power supply?

3. Do the magnets come out of these cars? I'd like them to slide a little more but I haven't had time to diddle with them...

4. Does an adapter exist to connect this track to REEEEEEALLY old Scaley track? My uncle gave me a big box that he had in the late 60s...

5. Is this one of those systems that runs on AC so that the two cars can run on one lane?

6. Anything else cool you all can tell me about my find?

I would have posted this in 1/32, but it seems kind of slow in there...

thanks in advance for any help!

--rick
Hi Rick,

Let me see if I can help. I have a T2 Scalextric Sport track that I've had for about 4 years now. So let's start with your questions:

1. The fact that one car worked on one lane vs. the other really has nothing to do with the switch. The switch at the terminal is to switch between single or dual power supplies. If you only have one power supply, keep the switch on the single 16V vs. the dual 16V. As for the "jumpers" under the track, hopefully you did not mess with those - those are the feeds that supply power to each lane from the terminal once you open the switch from your controller. If you are getting no power on the outside lane, check the make sure that the "jumper" wires are not grounding out on anything and that they are definitely connected to the track good. You should be able to get the car to work on the terminal piece of track, at least. Another thing to look at is to make sure the brushes (similar to the skis or shoes on an HO car) are not worn/frayed out and that they are making good contact with the track - you may have a lane that is slightly warped. The nice thing about the Scalextric Sport track is that it is made of a plastic that is VERY plyable - now, yes, you can bend it beyond repair, but, take a look at the track and see if it is not laying flat on the table. If it is not, use your hands and try to mold it/reshape it so that it lays flat. It may take a little working, but it will bend back flat. If none of this works, then you might have a bad controller (just switch the controllers and use the inside controller on the outside to see if that works) or you could have a bad terminal port for the outside lane. If it's the later, then you probably need to pick up a new terminal piece.

2. I don't think it isolates the power to each lane, but instead, supplies that much more voltage to the entire track. I've personally never tried the secondary power supply, but, when I've raced my daughter on the track and she or I come off the track, the remaining car has a power surge that could potential deslot that car too. I think having the secondary power supply reduces that surge potential by making sure the entire track has enough power for both cars to run without surging.

3. Yes the magnets come out of the cars. Depending on what type of car you have, you should be able to loosen two to four screws under the car and remove the body. After you pull the body off, you should be able to see the bar magnet toward the rear or middle of the car sitting in a plastic clip. Just slide it out or pop it out and replace the body and screws and you should be ready for some sliding action.

4. The only adapter I've seen is one that allows you to connect Scalextric Sport to Scalextric Classic track. I don't think it's the same as the REALLY old '60's stuff, but take a look around Scalextric's site as they have all of the track parts and pieces that are available for connecting to other track systems.

5. No, this is not a digital track, although, you can put two cars on the same lane and run them with a single controller. The issue is that they will probably just "train" around the track after each other.

6. The only other cool thing is that with this analog track set, you are not limited to just Scalextric cars. The slot and track setup are such that you can run just about any other make and brand on the track, with the exception of Carerra. Carerra's guide flags are really deep and tend to drag the bottom of the slot causing it to hang. Other than that, you should be able to run SCX, NINCO, NSR, Slot.it, FLY, etc. Also, something that people forget is that the 1/43 cars will work just fine on the 1/32 track. Instead of having to buy two different track systems, you can now buy the 1/43 cars (SCX's) at Target (2 cars for $20) and have fun in a little smaller scale. I've even seen guys convert their HO cars to use guide flags and run all 3 scales on the same track! So there's some other things you might not know about your new find.

Regardless of whether you have a bad terminal or not, I think $25 for the set was a decent deal and there are plenty of track pieces you can add or you can even find another T1 set to add to this one, if you want a larger layout.

Good luck and have fun!
PD2:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks! the kids were real excited that I brought home something different, and I'm pretty happy too... i like to have a little of everything. this is my first modern 1/32 stuff. sadly, i don't think i can run my old Eldons on this, as they run on 6-7 volts and I might end up with a face full of armature windings...

i think the jumpers confused me because they're not actually on the terminal track where you plug in the controllers and power supply... they're on the track section next to that. the terminal track itself has a black plastic cover on the bottom and I assumed there were some connections under that...

speaking of voltage... do you know what voltage the 1/43 SCXs you mentioned run on? that might be something neat for me to pick up...

thanks for all your help!

--rick

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
thanks! the kids were real excited that I brought home something different, and I'm pretty happy too... i like to have a little of everything. this is my first modern 1/32 stuff. sadly, i don't think i can run my old Eldons on this, as they run on 6-7 volts and I might end up with a face full of armature windings...

i think the jumpers confused me because they're not actually on the terminal track where you plug in the controllers and power supply... they're on the track section next to that. the terminal track itself has a black plastic cover on the bottom and I assumed there were some connections under that...

speaking of voltage... do you know what voltage the 1/43 SCXs you mentioned run on? that might be something neat for me to pick up...

thanks for all your help!

--rick
You are welcome on the reply rick! Glad I was able to help out any. And yes, you are correct that your older Eldons might have a bit of an issue with the higher voltage.

As for the 1/43 SCX cars, I think most of those tracks are 12-14V, so the additional 2V has not been extremely bad on my cars. They are a ton quicker, but nothing gets hot or appears to hurt them at this point. My daughter and I have had fun with the tuners and NASCARS from time to time. Like I said, for $20 for two cars, plus the detail you get, like on the F1 cars, you can't beat it! You also have others that you can pick up from Carerra as well as Ranch Design.

Hope you guys have tons of fun!
PD2:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts