Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my "Z Cars." Jumped on-line and punched up "Bob Sharp Racing" "BSR" "SCCA 1970 Photos" "Road Atlanta Photos" "VIR Photos" "240 Z Photos" "Bob Sharp 240 Z Photos" "Bob Sharp 00006 240 Z Photos" and several others I can't recall. My results yielded 2 front shots of the car. Anyone got any shots of this car from the side and back? CRIPES! ya wouldn't think it'd be that hard to find some decent pics of THE FIRST 240 Z to race inthe USA.

Any help would be appreciated. CH

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's another thing. Didn't the number go from #33 to #38 when Sharp and Posey started driving together? Wish I'd of took more pics at Road Atlanta back then. I'm going to try and dig out some old slides I have. But I don't recall taking any of that car back then. If I did its of it drifting through the top of the esses and probably won't be of any help to me.:mad:

·
Registered
10,573 Posts
i FOUND A WEB SITE WITH A BUNCH OF PICS...........got to remember where it is at, They did run #38, they ran in IMSA and SCCA.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhhhh.....IMSA. That may actually be the car I'm thinking of. Or it may be both. We used to go to RA to see The SCCA Run-Offs and we also caught several IMSA shows as well. But I'm wanting to do the 33 car in RW&B color scheme. I need to go back through some of my RA SCCA R-O slides. I doubt it'll do any good. I just don't recall shooting that car. If I did it was from the bottom of the esses and he was drifting through the top. Probably too far away to be of any help.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep! That's all of 'em I've been able to scrounge myself. I've got a couple more of the John Morten BRE car. Its actually documented much better than the BSR Datsun. I may end up doing it first while I research the old 00006 car. Just now finding all my old slides from Road Atlanta so I still don't know if I have any shots. The big question I have is the layout of the striping towards the back. And of course what was on the back of the car. If I'm lucky enough to have shot this car from the side view its doubtful I shot it from the back as I shot very little looking up the hill in the esses. The sun was always in my eyes that way.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't believe it! I do have two pics of the #33 BSR car. One of them is even from the side. Of course they are on slides so I've got to dig out the projector. That's not as easy a task as one might think. I haven't used it in two years so a lot has accumulated on top of it. Sounds like a project for tomorrow evening. I don't know if the images are good enough to make out markings. There is an odd flip of the RW&B stripe on the tail of the car. Getting closer to finding out what I want to know. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it may not be the best side shot of the BSR 240Z, but it might be the only one. It would have been much better if the clown in front of me hadn't bumped into me about the time I snapped the shutter. Funny how the pic brings back memories. Suppose thats why we take 'em

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
After a bit more research several conclusions have been reached. This was probably the '72 Champion Spark Plug Nationals at Rd Atlanta. Note evvvvvrybody's got a "Z car" by now. :thumbsup: That's a "Cannon AE-1" logo under the passenger window. I'm proud to say the script next to the front fender well reads "Kendall GT1 Motor Oil." I've run Kendall in everything I've ever owned and every engine has gone over the 350,000 mile mark! Good stuff highly recommended and I never saw the BSR car blow up either. "CP" in front of the rear wheel well opening. Looks like a "3M" logo next to the #33. And a red one I don't recognize. On the quarter glass is an "SCCA" logo as well as a "Champion Spark Plug" logo. The one in the rear of the quarter glass I can't make out. There is something going on horizontally next to the vertical stripe on the rear of the car. I saw a 1/43 BSR 240Z on-line that had the same marking but I couldn't make it out either. I assume there is a "Bob Sharp" signature on the top sides of the roof. I don't think there was a #33 on the roof. If anyone recognizes any of the logos I don't, let me know please. I'm about ready to start on these. Yeah. I'm going to do the BRE car as well. Gotta have something to race against.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gonna have to start a new thread.

Laid out most of the decals last night for the BSR & the BRE cars. One of the things I like about the older racing cars. Minimal sponsor logos :thumbsup: .

·
0 Posts
Here's one getting ready to rock. It needs detailing - maybe a stock version first. Trying to decide whether to radius the front wheelwell some, or raise the car a bit. The wheels are Matchbox items.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dang that looks nice! About 6 years after the 240Z's came out I painted one with white Imron. Didn't know about having to put fish-eye eliminator in it. You ever tried to sand fisheyes out of a refrigerator????

What kind of Matchbox y'all gettin' those wheels from. They're bad to the bone!

·
0 Posts
ClearHooter said:
You ever tried to sand fisheyes out of a refrigerator????
What kind of Matchbox y'all gettin' those wheels from. They're bad to the bone!
Sanding Imron! It must have taken forever. :freak:

The donor wheels came from a Matchbox Collectibles Texaco '70 El Camino. (There's a pic at 1up's cool site: http://www.dbeckett.com/diecast/dc_search.html, tick the Matchbox box and search 'El Camino'.)

The wheels are a little big on the Chevy but will look right at home on the Z after radiusing the front wheelwell just a titch.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
1A62 said:
Here's one getting ready to rock. It needs detailing - maybe a stock version first. Trying to decide whether to radius the front wheelwell some, or raise the car a bit. The wheels are Matchbox items.
that look very very mint and nice!

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1A62 said:
Sanding Imron! It must have taken forever. :freak:

Added three hard days to a project that should have been finished. Several years later the cover coat pinholed :drunk: Imron was pretty new then. Not many bodymen (I use that term loosely in reference to myself) had used it. Its a lesson I've never forgot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts