Hobbyist Forums banner

Hinchringer Question - base

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  dreamer 
#1 ·
Yes, it's a really base question.

Ahem. Building the base. Most advanced modellers who build with contests in mind try to detail everything that can be seen (e.g. the back of the tombstone on the Frankenstein kit). How would you detail the underside of the turntable platform on the Bellback? Just make the whole thing solid with sheet styrene (detailed to look like wood) at the very bottom? That would make the table rise up too far from the lower platform, I think - so, shorten the pedestal?

What would you do?

#5 ·
Okay, 'nother question. Can anyone explain, or better yet diagram, how that chain went around Caney's waist? There's a chain looped around his waist, a chain looping that to the metal ring in the table, they might be the same chain looping over itself...at some point, the thing has to open and close, right?

Steve's right, not only is the table stone, but the base for it as well, with a wodden pillar that goes right through it. Too much to change, but I want to have iron chains to match the film at least. The manacles are easy enough, but I didn't see a shot of the chain at his body.

Lucky, no chain at his neck. That makes the seamwork easier there.

#10 ·
I thought that the Aurora original round base was "keyed" but you could mount the hinch to be facing alittle more to the left. If memory serves me, I had to break loose my original base because the original builder had build it with hinch looking to the side and I wanted to see more of his face and front of his body so I moved him by relocating the round base 1/4 turn on top of the pedastal.

MMM

#11 ·
dreamer said:
Yes, it's a really base question.

Ahem. Building the base. Most advanced modellers who build with contests in mind try to detail everything that can be seen (e.g. the back of the tombstone on the Frankenstein kit). How would you detail the underside of the turntable platform on the Bellback? Just make the whole thing solid with sheet styrene (detailed to look like wood) at the very bottom? That would make the table rise up too far from the lower platform, I think - so, shorten the pedestal?

What would you do?
I'd load the underside with Aves & sculpt in the detail to match the top.

#12 ·
MitchPD3 said:
OK Dreamer.....You have used up your alotment of the word "chain" in your last post. Pick another word or the Hobby Police will be knocking at your door!!!!!
But, but - it's a word chain! Yes, it's a Chaney chain to hinch up your wodden pillar to.

The instrux didn't say anything about the table rotating, but there's a ring that goes inside the pedestal. Apply glue to the ring, push it up, and it locks the pedestal to the table allowing it to rotate.

I've got the underside of the table done already following Ig's advice, and detailed with a Dremel. Once it's primed and a few spots cleaned up with putty, I'll post a shot of what I got so far.

Tried yesterday to find rental sopies of other Hunchback films to see how the chains went on, and nobody has any rentals of anything but the tv version with Mandy Patinkin! Oh, well - watching Salma Hayek is never a waste of time.

Figuring what to alter, what to leave the same...Leave the base but probably replace the ropes and rings with chai- er, those metal link thingies...from a craft store. Didn't somebody do that once and post their pics? Leave the shirt mostly the same, but fix up the details a bit (more on that when I get there)...keep the pose but change the postion of the arms...add a belt buckle - that's a magic belt just like the magic manacles, they just go right on and shrink to fit, no way to open them.

And change the head. Anyone notice the Aurora Hinch has a mullet?

#13 ·
dreamer said:
And change the head. Anyone notice the Aurora Hinch has a mullet?
Yeah, some days I like to look at mine and imagine that that's really Billy Ray Cyrus screaming out in agony. Gives me a good feeling.

Dreamer - you might be able to find the Quinn/Lolibrigida version pretty cheap on DVD. It's probably the worst version of the story ever filmed - but it's got great reference shots since it was the version the kit was based on.

#17 ·
TRENDON said:
Huh, I like to pretend that it's my BOSS!
Well, it does look a little bit like HER.
EEK!

Flashback to my first encounter with that last English teacher in high school - didn't know it was a woman 'til she spoke...

Wolf, that's a great job on your Hunchback!

I'm getting ready to start a new thread on this project, with (hopefully) a few pics of the progress as it goes along.

Zed, thanks for the tip - I'll watch for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.