Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a project I did for college about 4 years ago. I tested different wings with actual airfoil shapes. I used a RC10L3 with a Monte Carlo body. I wanted to compare an airfoil shaped wing with the standard wing used in oval racing. I wanted to see if I could get a much more efficient wing (lower drag with the same downforce). I have posted some of my pics and data here. I have a full written report in PDF format that is posted on the page.

·
Registered
878 Posts
If you do more on this get a Kimbrough wing.It is molded lexan and very strong.At the velodrome we cut them down to decrease downforce on the rear of the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
huffrcman said:
If you do more on this get a Kimbrough wing.It is molded lexan and very strong.At the velodrome we cut them down to decrease downforce on the rear of the car.
Ok, I see. So you guys want less downforce instead of more? What other tricks do you guys do aerodynamically?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Downforce is dependant o the track.. Certain tracks also need the wing to be pod mounted instead of the body.. There really isnt a special wing that works best.. you just need to find what works for you.. there is so many diff sizes of wings out there, plus its pretty easy to make your own.

The height of the wing of the body, or below the roffline also plays a large effect on the amount of downforce..

Id like to see some current body wind testing..

·
Registered
878 Posts
Tricks??? I don't know any tricks. Body rake, wing angle some people use wheel dots.Covering the underside with lexan or tape.People try many things to reduce drag.Hobbylabs use to have a wind tunnel, I will have to search and see if the website is still up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts