Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,It looked like Hi Way Hobby House in Ramsey N.J.was going out of business after Christmas.The good news is that they have a Sci Fi event planned for March and it is tentative at this time but it also means they will be around a little longer which is good news!!Perhaps Mr.Payne can shed some light if they plan to stay open hopefully.Guy Schlicter.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I certainly hope so!

I missed going there the last time I was on the East Coast. It was on my 'to do' list, but, alas, I ran out of time. I am hoping that they will stick around so that I may still make it there when I return for another visit.

A loss of a good hobby shop anywhere, is a loss to modelers everywhere. I have seen far too many great shops disappear over the last decade or two all up and down the West Coast, one having been in business for over 50 years with four generations of customers.

·
Registered
349 Posts
"Perhaps Mr.Payne can shed some light if they plan to stay open hopefully."

I spoke with Anthony this past week. If the event happens, the turn out will have a large influence on if the store continues. Like an election....turn out is everything.

E

·
Oxidation Genius
31,276 Posts
Anthony is scheduling the event in blind faith. He has no actual idea what his father's plans are for closing the store, since his father refuses to tell him what's going on. If they're still open in March, the event will happen.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Anthony is scheduling the event in blind faith. He has no actual idea what his father's plans are for closing the store, since his father refuses to tell him what's going on. If they're still open in March, the event will happen.
It makes no sense why his Father is keeping him in the dark about his plans for the store. I mean this is his son and it would also be nice if the father in fact shuts the store down that he would help Anthony jump start his own hobby store as he was thinking of doing. You also said John that if Hi Way hobby closes down that Anthony is out of work. Doesn't Anthony's Father lookout for whats also best for his son. I mean Anthony needs to make a living and it seems his Father isn't giving him too much support.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Guy, you're killing me! Please, please, PLEASE! Can you start putting a space at the end of your sentences? Pretty please? I'm begging on hands and knees here!!! It would make reading your posts sooooooo much easier. Pretty please with a cherry on top?!? :eek:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'll do my best to attend as I live in PA and have been there before. The store is wonderful and Anthony is a fantastic guy! The entire staff are nice folks!

I was already booking something else for that weekend before Anthony announced this but it can be moved. Since my first novel actually hits Amazon and Barnesandnoble.com that same weekend, I was going to see about arranging a local booksigning but that can happen anytime.

Saving HHH is important!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Bad news everyone... :cry: the "event" won't happen..... I am not allowed to discuss anything or it will make things even worse for me and sooner. People aren't stupid, they look around the store and then instantly know what is happening. I do my best to play dumb... but like I said people aren't stupid.... If you mention this topic in HHH, please don't say it came from me... I am seriously bumbed about the whole thing and it's not just because I will be out of work. I am pushing to at least get my own place closer to where I live and that's the only option I have at this point. I am trying to keep the sci-fi department going to the last possible minute since it's my area, but everything else is going to suffer at this point

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its really unfortunate about how few Hobby Stores are left in the N.Y.C.area. I live on Staten Island and we have 1 hobby shop on the North Shore called Brownies which seams to do well and they manage to survive. There are only 2 others I know of in Manhattan and one in Colonia N.J. called Avenel Hobbies, I wish Hi Way Hobby House had been closer to me so I could have shopped there more. Hi Way hobbys Sci Fi Model collection was always up to date and impressive and they had some of the best prices around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts