Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A new concept on a couple old classics. A Ford hybrid bashed together using all Ford body parts...an A-Line T-Bird body and a trimmed MM Mustang roof. So what do you get when you have a half Ranchero and half Thunderbird?? I call it a 1963 Thundero ! Tamiya paint, bare metal foil, Vincent wheels, brass hobby tubing for the lake pipes (pipes suggested by joeZ), and for the tonneau cover I used Testor's sanding film. I thought about lowering it, but I'm not a true fan of low riders, so it sits more like a period vehicle would. Thanks for looking.... tjd :wave:

·
Registered
807 Posts
neat..

Nice lookin t-bird . Excellent custom work and the color looks era correct for a custom. Now all you need is 4 inch white walls. :thumbsup:
That is one of those ideas of "why didn't I think of that motife"
Lowering puts a custom in 2 catagories..Newer auto is called a lowrider...
Older bodied autos are called sleds.... "So slam that thing"...lol

Just kiddin..Sweet lookin custom..Keep 'um comin..Love the ideas you guys are comin up with... :dude:

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Great looking custom. Wouldn't mind seeing some manufactuer do a real Ranchero for the Tjet too! May have to convert one of the Fairlane stockers from JL. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: rr

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
TJ: Mercy that's pretty! :thumbsup:

How could someone not love that? Very nicely matched color and parts. A real snapshot of the era. Although I'm a big fan of the slam, I wouldnt whack this one. I'd just build another. :p

Your "Thundero" puts a whole new light on a mediocre Falcon bod I've been avoiding for some time. My dremel finger is twitching. Zzzzzzzzing!

Way to think out of the box. Or in your case just throw the box away and have at it. :tongue:

I. R. Impressed!

·
Duke Dave of Sealand
2,879 Posts
Nice OWrk , good use of old parts for sure... Ya get athumbs up!

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all...

Ya know, I was sitting here one day squinting at the roofline of a stock A-Line T-Bird. I thought... hmmm it's looking somewhat squished, but below that point it's really got some good bones. Crisp details beggin to be worked over. About the same time that I got the T-Bird I was also reading a copy of Car Kulture Deluxe and saw a very cool highly customized 59 El Camino by Bill Hines (legendary customizer and lead-man). That got the old thought process going. It was at times like reverse engineering (full steam reverse), but I like how it came out, even with it's flaws. First time I ever did bare metal foil, I normally paint. Lots of fun to do and on now it's way to a friend. Thanks again for looking. :wave: tjd

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Dang that looks good. Motivates me to think about trying foil too. Nice work!

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
That rear end of the cab is great. Like the little overhang and angled B pillars. Definitely a :thumbsup: :thumbsup: rr

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
MEV makes a '59 Ranchero, I wonder if you take the '60 Edsel and graft the bed to it what it would look like. Gotta keep those unique Edsel taillights though.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Grat work onthat AML body. I thought they were a little dull and you certainly added some life to it. Love the Tonneau cover.

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts