Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out your gallery, and I'm very impressed with your buildup of Hot Dogger Hangin' Ten. Could you possibly let me know the colors you used, and maybe the process/paint order for the hair? Again, FANTASTIC work!! Any info you can provide would be deeply appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Wayne

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Thanks for the compliment! I like this one too. I will get a list of the paints together that I used and post them along with the process....it was an easy one so you should not have any problems painting one similar. Will post the info later on this evening once I gather that info and figure out what I used.

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Here goes:
Hair first coat: Testors Model Master "skin tone shadow tint" #2004
Hair highlights, eyes & teeth: Testors Model Master "sand" #1706
Skin: Testors Model Master "skin tone warm" #2003
Toes and Fingernails: Testors Model Master "skin tone light" #2001
Outlines of teeth, eyes, nails, etc.: mostly Testors Model Master "skin tone tint - dark" #2002
Gums: custom mixed from testors flat red and flat white
Shorts: Testors Model Master "interior blue/green" #2135
Surfboard: Testors sand from above, outlines in skin tone tint dark from above, red is Testors "Flat Red" #1150 (small bottles)
Crab: orange is Floquil "up light orange" #F110168, dark area is the skin tone tint dark again, red is the same red as the surfboard
Wave: 1st coat sprayed with Testors "Pacific Blue" #?
2nd coat thinly brushed with Testors/Boyd "Chezoom Teal" #52703 (transparent gloss paint)
3rd coat is brushed Testors/Boyd "Ice Blue Pearl" #52718 (transparent gloss paint)
Highlights: drybrushed with Testors Gloss White

This was as simple as simple gets as far as painting. The hair being painted entirely dark first then highlighted over with the lighter sand color. The "top" of the hair strands are what I chose to highlight with the sand color. If you have the model in front of you and you look closely at the hair you will see what I mean by each hair strand having 2 sides.....a "top" and a "side".

The wave probably did not need the pacific blue undercoat. I did not use it on surf finks wave and they look the same. Those Boyd colors are gloss and have a little bit of a metallic shimmer to them. Looks good for water IMO.

Everything else is just one coat of one solid color. I am going for a "solid, plain", cartoon look on all of these Silly Surfers. Will post a few pics of Hodad's progress shortly. Beach Bunny is coming along as well. I am keeping the colors similar for all kits.

Now for YOUR models....I just checked out you gallery and you DO have some NICE STUFF! All of it is is killer. I love the job you did on the Stooges! Captain A! ALL OF IT! The technique that you used of doing the dark underpainting and then doing the lighter wash is what I am going to do on my next kit. I really like that look and have not tried it yet. It makes your models look top notch man. Love the Frantic Banana as well. Look forward to seeing more of your stuff and I am happy to know that the silly surfer caught your eye. That is a nice compliment coming from you.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for the info, and for your kind words about my work! I look forward to seeing the rest of your kits! Do you also have the Frantic series?

Wayne

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
Yeah, I have all 4 frantics. Have one of them started and need to get back on that as well. I am in the middle of rebuilding a couple of FLypoggers as well (Speed Shift & Flip Out). All neat kits! Look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts