Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have an idea for a release of cars I'd like to see Autoworld produce. I know some of you guys may not like it, but I think they would be a hit. so here they are.

Supercar Release. The cars I'm talking about here are the Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari 599, Pagani Zonda F, Aston Martin Vanquish, Marcos TSO GT2, Ascari KZ1, Maserati MC12, and Mercedes SLR.

Anyone who watches Top Gear should know what I'm talking about. But most important, what do you guys think?

Randy.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Those would be some nice Thunderjet bodies, I'd like to see a 599.

But I've noticed a lot of the new X-Traction releases,
Auto World has been having some difficulty getting their bodies low enough on the chassis.
They need some slot car racers to help them out with that.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'd like to see them produce more Xtraction style late 60's, early 70's GM and Fords!

Ditto on the lower stance!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'd like to see the " Supercar " release on XTraction Ultra-G chassis. Definitely make the bodies sit low to the track. The picture below is a Bugatti Veyron. Two V-8 engines, 4 Turbo Chargers, 1001 Horsepower, Top speed ( LIMITED to ) 252 MPH, 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds. This car would look great as a slot car.

Randy.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Racemasters ....maybe?

Agreed!

Something completly off the regular menu sounds delicious.

I'm not really sure why so many (Brand X) cars have trouble settling onto their chassis, but it would be a huge issue for the type of car your referring too. Look back at how nicely the wheel well to tire fit was on the original AFX cars...and it wasnt just them!

The Tycos of the era fit nicely too, and (IMHO) the undisputed albeit short lived leader of body to chassis fitment....AMRAC! I always look at one of my Amrac RSRs or Z cars for inspiration and guidance when it comes time for trimming.

Sadly, I dont think the makers of Brand Xs bodies ...

a. care
b. take a second look
c. have ever seen a real car

...and by that time it's too late for us.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed!

I'm not really sure why so many (Brand X) cars have trouble settling onto their chassis, but it would be a huge issue for the type of car your referring too. Look back at how nicely the wheel well to tire fit was on the original AFX cars...and it wasnt just them!

The Tycos of the era fit nicely too, and (IMHO) the undisputed albeit short lived leader of body to chassis fitment....AMRAC! I always look at one of my Amrac RSRs or Z cars for inspiration and guidance when it comes time for trimming.

Sadly, I dont think the makers of Brand Xs bodies ...

a. care
b. take a second look
c. have ever seen a real car

...and by that time it's too late for us.

Racemasters? They would do the Supercar release right. They would cost a little more than Autoworld, but they would look good and would be worth it.

I agree that the slot makers need to get the body to sit low on the chassis.
Nothing looks better than a slot car body that sits low to the track. Aurora's Magna-Traction Porsche Carrera #1933, Mercury Stocker, Corvette "A" Production, and Porsche 917-10K Can Am are good looking cars.

If Autoworld would make a "Supercar Release" with the cars mentioned in my first post on this thread, they would have to make the bodies sit low on the chassis and the wheel wells fit the tires. I think the Pagani Zonda F would be a challenge to make the body fit the chassis correctly.

I'd like to see this release, just something different and with an appeal to the collectors and racers.

I've been watching the TV show Top Gear on BBC America and I'm amazed at some of the cars I've seen. Plus the entire show is great fun to watch. Funny and for me educational. The host are good and my favorite, THE STIG.

Randy.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
I would agree...save for the Carrera. While it sits nice and low there has always been something proportionally wrong with it. Looks a bit more like a batting helmet than a 911...and the pillars and posts are overly askew/akimbo. Admittedly I'm a 911 nut so my observations are overly biased when a 911 topic arises ...LOL!

How about the Z-28 though? One of my first AFX cars...and still one of my favs. Although not a super exotic car per-sey; it illustrates my point about the idea of wrapping a body around the chassis properly, rather than puking out a happy meal toy and halfass slapping it on a chassis and cramming it in a pretty cube with groovy artwork. Thanx just the same, I'd rather have a bitchen' chassis fit and a plain brown wrapper.

I inserted Racemasters into your thread with the intent of devil's advocacy. I think we can all stipulate to the obvious thought that their attention to detail and execution would likely be superior to Brand X. However, my initial thought really was that their Mega G chassis would better lend itself to the snug, ground hugging styling requirments of most all exotic super cars; and perhaps keep to a minimum all the fudging of height to length to width ratios that the happy meal designers do to get a body wrapped around a given chassis.

Just dreaming along....

·
Most Interesting Member
6,267 Posts
Agreed!

Hmmmmm...... How about a Movie car release?

Let's say a.....

70 Plymouth Valiant 4dr in red

71 Ford Galaxie 4dr in brown and a cop version in light blue

73 Ford Mach1 Mustang in butterscotch.

74 Dodge Monaco cop car (retired)

75 Pontiac Firebird (base model) in gold

77 Ferrari 308 GTS in red

73 Pontiac Ventura in silver

75 Dodge utility truck in red (LA fire dept)

Anyone remember where these cars are from?

·
Registered
964 Posts
?
Gator?White Lightning
?
Blues Bros.
Rockford
Magnum
French Connection
Emergency

Don't forget Crazy Larry's Charger and the white Challenger from Vanishing Point.( I remembered this before you posted!)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
V8 Supercars would be a huge hit on this side of the world. Available in 1/32 but nothing in HO. I know AW wouldn't be looking at the market down here. But it's a real shame these are not available in HO.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Well the 4 dr valiant is from Duel, I know that one.

I agree on the Crazy Larry and Vanishing point cars, totally!

The hardware already exists for a smokey and the bandit release, the firebird and semi rig are no problem, just take the gm 4-door from the very first Dukes release and slap a pontiac grille on it, paint it gold and call that one good.

They could have a field day doing Cannonball Run cars too, havent heard that one brought up.

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
I would assume the 73 Ford Mach1 Mustang in butterscotch would be the Eleanor from the original gone in 60 seconds. That's a comprehensive list Rich!!! :freak:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
More ... oops , ANY Rally racing vehicle. Even one would be nice.

GT Racing cars. Again, start with one, any one, and build from there.

More tuners and drifters. PM/RC2 nailed the body fitment on these.

American, especially muscle cars have been done to death - and beyond, deep into the afterlife, look out here comes yet another Mustang or Camaro back from the dead. Again and again. Goofy movie novelty cars - no mas, no mas. If we're to the point of even considering the mundane and mediocre 4-door grandpa cars, sure sign that the genre has been played out. Put away the bag of Cheetos, ditch the bare steamed hot dog on gooey bread, and nix the syrupy Classic Coca Cola and give us something different for a change Mr. One Track Tommy.

There IS a big world out there beyond the 1960s and 1970s Big American Tin from Detroit. Step out of the rust and into the light, of the '80s, 90s, 00s, and race cars, sports car, rally cars, exotics, tuners, low riders, Euro, Aussie, and maybe some classic artful customs.

Scooby Vans? Penguinmobile? You've gotta be kidding. Give me a break.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts