Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry ive been Mia the past week. Its been a crazy time. One of those life got in the way deals. Lots to catch up on.
Started out totalling my wrangler hydroplaning,
(i am ok just a sore neck)
Then my backup car audi allroad decided to have the alternator go tits up. Now if that isnt bad enough the story gettin it home was a good one too. So that part needed to be ordered and in order to change it you have to remove the entire front end. Picture bumper, radiator, condensor, headlights. The whole thing. Including twin turbo intercooler ducting etc. spent and entire day up to 6am swapping so i could go to work. Goes fine, following day that alt goes bad.
Order a new one just go that buckled back up last night at 10.
Antifreeze is dealer only G12 coolant at $20/liter.

Thats twice i had to drain it for each alternator change. Its just been crazy so i should be back now. Lol.
Updtes and pics on wht i got from that huge collection, couple of goodies for some of you here too. I didnt even get past the first row of tubs. Im goin back to meet him again either tonight or tomorrow for the good stuff.

Everyone who i had trades to send out just went out priority. Once i get through my pms ill send you all your dc.

Im realy sorry forthe delay i just have been slammed beyond belief. Working on cars till early hours etc. so ill post any finds i found while picking up parts or things for the car a bit later.

My raok box wnt out as well hopefully well received when it gets there.

Ill post more later today and catch up. Still have to cath up at work here.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Dismantle half the car to change the alternator, and then refill the radiator with required, extra-special fancy $20/litre coolant when you do it. Brother, that's a foreign car for ya.

Glad you're alright after the spin out Eric. And better luck with new new parts. Hope things slow down for you.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
wow you have not had any luck have you? glad to see you back bud!. cant wait to see the pictures of your newest grabs. thats crazy how the ALT went and you need to remove all that stuff... have a good day!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Welcome back Eric..... Good to hear you are okay as many were worried about ya. Many thought you had sold your soul to the devil or something.

Sorry to hear about your two vehicles. It happens to all of us when we least expect it. What I hate is when you are on a vacation and it happens. Makes the vacation very interesting... Ugghhh :freak:

Well, I am glad you are back and everything is working again :thumbsup:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome back Eric..... Good to hear you are okay as many were worried about ya. Many thought you had sold your soul to the devil or something.

Sorry to hear about your two vehicles. It happens to all of us when we least expect it. What I hate is when you are on a vacation and it happens. Makes the vacation very interesting... Ugghhh :freak:

Well, I am glad you are back and everything is working again :thumbsup:
Couldnt have said it better myself!

Welcome back buddy!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is it mostly apart

Just to get to the alt or belt.

Best part was after the first replacement failed i was 15 min from home so i hightailed it home because i could literally watch the voltage drain because everything is electronic from the transmission to the air leveling suspension to stability control etc. i went right to Autozone to order a replacemen and while out in the parking lot with the guy who was testin it, the lower radiator hose popped off dumping all the coolant. Apparently i didnt reconnect it properly. It doesnt use a hose clamp it has a special o ring and lock clip on the fitting and i must not have fully engaged it. Timing was perfect. Would have sucked i i was on the road or further from home instead of the parking lot. So i walked over to wallys to get some distilled water let it cool down and reconnect it after a while.

Ended up finding a chevelle super an surf crate hunt while i was there. Lol. So it wasnt a total loss.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for missin me too. It sounds wierd but even having hT on your phone and no being able to find the time to login or even check email is what is the crazy part. Been a mad rush to get the wheels situated. Now i just have to find me a new jeep cause my dog and kids both love it. Theyre picking up the wrecked one tomorrow so its gonna be bitter sweet. Just deposited the check from it so need to find one i like. Not so easy when the wife want to drive it and can drive manual. Fining th right engine and transmission combo isnt easy.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Glad things are better. Life gets in the way of what we want sometimes.

·
Banned
565 Posts
Thanks for missin me too. It sounds wierd but even having hT on your phone and no being able to find the time to login or even check email is what is the crazy part. Been a mad rush to get the wheels situated. Now i just have to find me a new jeep cause my dog and kids both love it. Theyre picking up the wrecked one tomorrow so its gonna be bitter sweet. Just deposited the check from it so need to find one i like. Not so easy when the wife want to drive it and can drive manual. Fining th right engine and transmission combo isnt easy.
Well all I can say is don't ever do that again...:tongue: I am glad your ok....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Glad your okay. Went to send you a message yesterday and it said your box was full. Then thought to myself I haven't seen you post recently

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Good to hear that your ok buddy. You need a '72 Demon or a '72 Challenger like I have. Those are easy to work on and get the looks! Right now the Demon is the daily driver cause the new electronic everything cars are dead. Hell get you a WWII jeep! Go anywere!:thumbsup::tongue:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Glad to hear you and everyone else are OK Eric. You had us all worried there. Sorry to hear of your wrecks, but that's life with cars. Can't wait to see your haul.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
You need a '72 Demon or a '72 Challenger like I have. Those are easy to work on and get the looks!
Or a '63 Falcon like I had...V-8, 4-speed, manual everything (including the 4-wheel drum brakes), no A/C, and a single-speaker AM radio that didn't work...my sound system was a pair of blown-out glass-packs!

I'm sorry to hear about your terrible luck, yet glad you're okay. Hopefully you can find just the right new Jeep in short order.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
nice to see you are in 1 piece.:thumbsup:was begining to wonder if that guy turned you into mulch after you went to see his collection.glad you are ok.:wave:

·
Banned
565 Posts
nice to see you are in 1 piece.:thumbsup:was begining to wonder if that guy turned you into mulch after you went to see his collection.glad you are ok.:wave:
Yes Frank, you made me really start to worry about Eric... Thanks... :tongue: I was to the point where if we didn't hear anything from you this week, I was going to call the guy up.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident and glad to hear you're ok. Good thing you know how to replace that alternator. I wouldn't want to begin thinking how much that would cost at a repair shop.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i figured im pretty mechanically incluned with my jeeps and can rebuild a moter or do anything else ive needed to do although i have never dug that deep into the audi before. I hav always had the dealer do the work but time was an issue and it is supposedly at least 6 hrs of shop time for an experienced audi technician with a lift so labor alone would have run at least $600 plus the part at the dealer is over $700 so it would have seriously cut into my diecast money. Lol. Thats not including all the fluids needed to be replaced so i ran with it. It was a good experience. I got to know that car a lot better and had a good time on the first replacement with my buddy replacing it. 2nd one is covered under warranty so that was just the time and aggravation of replacing it again.

It was a learning experience so it was all good. Reminded me im alive and what all nighters feel like. Been a few months since ive pulled one of those so it all worked out for now. Lol.

Cost me a little over $200 in parts and the case of IPA that was consumed during the process.

As for the Jeep i lucked out there. I bought it for a very good price and owed nothing on it so i got a check for nearly twice what i paid plus i had a brand new factory soft top on it that would have been $1200 to buy new if i needed it for whateve jeep i replace it with and they let me keep it and all of my aftermarket offroad parts for a measly $65.
And since i didnt have the Hard Top on it when i wrecked i get to keep that since it was at home. So basically got to keep $4000 worth of top for $65. Whihever one i do t need for te new jeep ill sell and have some extra play money i dont need to account for. Lol.

Gotta take what life gives ya and make the best of it. Im always telling my wife there is no reason to get bent. It doesnt change anything except ruin your day. Its already done so try o deal with it and make te reat of the day better than it already is.

I really do appreciate all of the love and concern on here. It justreinforces my decision to make this my dc forum home. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts