Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please read this in it's entirety. You just won't believe the gaul of this cat.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. My name is Troy (grayhouse). I am a member at the _________ forum along with _______ , whom I have been in touch with. In a recent private message, _________ sugested that I get in touch with you in regards that you might be interested in printing out some decals for me providing I can supply all the artwork. The decals in question are for an actual 60's era AFX/Gasser.

I have included a sample of the original artwork along with a sample of the multi page spot graphics (see atachment). From the actual artwork it should be a fairly straight forward job on an Alps printer using the spot color printing method. Of course I am usuming that you will be printing off an Alps printer. The master is in corel (cdr) format, but this could be changed, not easily, but it could be done. You would just have to let me know wich format you prefere. _______ also neglected to mention what you would charge for your services, however he did mention something about you wishing to keep the artwork so as to sell the decals on your site. Considering the large number of hours that have been put into these graphics I think we might be able to work something out in the way of a fair and resonable trade.

If you think you might be interested please let me know and we can discus the matter further.

Your's sincerely
Troy
-----------------------------------------------------------

Troy

Charges depend on the final decal size. Full Letter size is $28 Aussie, 1/2 Letter $14, and 1/4 letter $8. If you send me the artwork, it is on the condition that I can onsell it on my site. I am not interested in any other deals. I have enough work here to keep me busy for the rest of my life. I use lasers for the printing.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I have no problem with paying for your services. This is only fair, but I can not in all good continence turn over my intellectual property to you, wich in turn gives you the potential for endless profit without some type of compensation on my end. Coming as you do from the Design & Technology field this must come as no surprise to you. Just as I am certain you taught your students to never just hand over there sweat and time for nothing more than a firm handshake and a smile.

So in closing, I must adamantly decline. I wish you all the best in your online buisness.

Sincerely
Troy
----------------------------------------------------------
End

Does this guy have balls or what. He wants to keep my artwork so he can profit from it and oh yes....he still wants to charge me for printing out the decals from the artwork he wants to keep and profit from. In all my years I have never seen anything like that. I think I was very kind in my reply to his email even though I was seething with total disbelief when I wrote it. I have a couple of leads on some other people that do custom decals. I'll contact them and see how that goes.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Nice. Yep, everyone expects artists to just excrete whatever they need from them and be satisfied with a simple, "Thanks!" and a pat on the back.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hey Gray,
I wouldn't give this guy too much thought.

I used TangoPapa aka Bakertom.com to print my CustomOutlaws Decals for a 100 Caddy Giveaway I put on at the Texas Regionals a few years back.
Tom did a fine job at reasonable prices.

I received an Email the other day from Robsmodeling.com after I requested info from him on his Decals.

Both TangoPapa and RobsModeling are here in the U.S.

If you need links or other contact info just let me know.

Several years back when I first met Rick from FlaminGraphics he sent me Decal CD's and then made some Custom Decals for me in the style he was making at that time.
After using and posting pics on the Net of my Customs I was asked by a few people if I would sell copies of the Decal.
Of course I refused.

Don't let this guy get to you.
There are plenty of people making Decals on ALPS to choose from.

--CadillacPat the UnCustomizer--
Keeping the ZING in CustomiZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Speaking of TangoPapa. I just contacted him. I have seen some his work that he has done for others and I was quite impressed.

As for the guy from down under, I just couldn't believe the sheer audacity. This is a guy who claims to be in the design & technology feild and had taught it as well. You would think then he would no better than anyone of just what he was asking of me. Just for the sheer privlage to print me out some custom decals and then to charge me for them. I guess I should just feel so fortunate....

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Here is the bigger issue for this cat..."The decals in question are for an actual 60's era AFX/Gasser"

It is not illegal for him to print a decal sheet for the private use of your "not for sale" car ( I don't suppose). But you could not give him the rights to that art work if you wanted to, it is most likely the rights of the original car owner! I know any contingence sponsers would be copy written! And most likely the original car graphics are already under someone’s ownership!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the bigger issue for this cat..."The decals in question are for an actual 60's era AFX/Gasser"

It is not illegal for him to print a decal sheet for the private use of your "not for sale" car ( I don't suppose). But you could not give him the rights to that art work if you wanted to, it is most likely the rights of the original car owner! I know any contingence sponsers would be copy written! And most likely the original car graphics are already under someone’s ownership!
You're correct Ward. I hadn't thought about any potential copyright issues. Although my decals contained no big name contingency sponsors there is still that potential problem concerning the artwork from the actual car itself. Although I frankly don't think that many if any of the old time racers out there would really care......Big name corporations; now thats another matter.

Also I was told that the guy would only do custom decals if they were from actual race cars. No personal or fantasy cars was what I was told by my conection. I know now why because those are the only type of decals he sells on his site. I really don't see much point in not saying who the person in question was. It is the guy that runs Pattos Place Model Car Decals. He does have alot of decals, but he also has some seriously flawed ideas in how to cunduct buisness.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The hours put into putting together original artwork, not only decals, but other grphics can't be properly appreciated. When I was drawing automotive T-shirt designs in the mid 80s I got $50, free samples of the apparel, kept the rights to the artwork, and the original artwork. For those using the designs they could not transfer it in part or whole to anyone else. I wasn't doing it for a living, and everyone readily agreed. In equivalence I guess that would be $200 or more today, so Aussie was more than just a little off the mark.

I'm finishing up a set of decals for a Greenlight Olds 'vert I'm doing and even that simple set has had me working for more than an entire day... yeah, I'm a perfectionist, but just given minimum wage...

Once again, "I'm a lis'nin what y'all exerience, as I'm going to have to rely on someone with an Alps very soon for a couple of special projects...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Let me give a little tip to any of you designing graphics in PhotoShop that you expect to be printed on an ALPS Printer.

Make sure you create your images using no anti-aliasing.
This feature is in your Layers Palette under Layer Styles.
Make sure the Anti-Aliasing box is left unchecked.

Color separations for the person operating the ALPS Printer are difficult to impossible if images are created using anti-aliasing.

-CadillacPat the UnCustomizer--
Keeping the ZING in CustomiZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts