Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the Gods of Online Auctions have smiled on me yet again. I have acquired yet another of my "grail kits"... the 1966 Revell model of Ben, Hoss & Little Joe Cartwright from "Bonanza."

Complete, unassembled, unpainted, with instructions, in a good condition original box. I'll get around to building this one... someday.. :) (IF I had a nickel for every time I say that.... )

One thing I did notice that was quite cool.. Revell cut reproductions of the actors' autographs into the mold for the base. Gonna be fun to trace over those with a fint-point marker when I paint the base.

No real reason for this thread, other than me just bragging. :dude:

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Bonanza

DinoMike said:
Well, the Gods of Online Auctions have smiled on me yet again. I have acquired yet another of my "grail kits"... the 1966 Revell model of Ben, Hoss & Little Joe Cartwright from "Bonanza."

Complete, unassembled, unpainted, with instructions, in a good condition original box. I'll get around to building this one... someday.. :) (IF I had a nickel for every time I say that.... )

One thing I did notice that was quite cool.. Revell cut reproductions of the actors' autographs into the mold for the base. Gonna be fun to trace over those with a fint-point marker when I paint the base.

No real reason for this thread, other than me just bragging. :dude:
looks like you hit the big bonanza DinoMike, i didn't even know there was a kit of BONANZA. I am looking at a portion of the Ponderosa ranch at this very moment from my home in Carson City,NV. I can look up the mountainside to the west about 8 miles away and see a lot of the very spots where scenes from the show were filmed when they filmed at the Ponderosa ranch locations here. You could hold the completed model up at arms length and they would look :thumbsup: right at home !
Bert

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I always wanted that BONANZA kit! I didn't even know one was up for auction! I sure wish they'd re-issue this one - then maybe the aftermarket guys would offer an ADAM CARTWRIGHT figure to complete the family.

- GJS

P.S. Bert, my wife and I went to Lake Tahoe for our honeymoon ( almost 14 years ago ) We've been to the Ponderosa set of which you speak. Pretty cool!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Revell was pretty hit and miss on their figure kits. But the likenesses to Hoss, Little Joe, and Pa Cartwright on this kit is very good. Great kit and a great example of Revell's attempt to do Aurora one better. You've made a real nice acquisition.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
well as of last week, the ponderosa ranch is history, the owners sold it all off to some young rich land developer who is replacing it with condos what a shame that is !!! at least i can still walk the location sites here where a lot of the filming was done, but they are tearing down the ranch house and western theme town on the property. "SIGH"
Bert

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I heard about that. That really bites.

Been seeing a LOT of Bonanza kits on that auction site lately... think there's even one up there now.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
god i remember seeing that kit in the dingy dark hobby shop in my hometown from the time of its original release until the shop closed in the late 70's. whats one of those going for these days (so i can kick myself)?

·
Starship Class
12,059 Posts
My favorite scene from Bonanza was one where a guest riding with the boys asks when they'll be arriving on the Ponderosa. One of the sons (which?) replies saying that they've been on the Ponderosa for two days now.

Oh, well. No real reason for my post except to say, 'good show!' :thumbsup: on getting the model kit. You know you'll HAVE to build it up soon so we can all see it. :devil:

·
Curmudgeon
6,621 Posts
model maker said:
well as of last week, the ponderosa ranch is history, the owners sold it all off to some young rich land developer who is replacing it with condos what a shame that is !!! at least i can still walk the location sites here where a lot of the filming was done, but they are tearing down the ranch house and western theme town on the property. "SIGH"
Bert
Ugh, developers! The least they could do is try to find someone willing to relocate the house instead of tearing it down. Another piece of historical architecture lost forever because some schmuck thinks we need more condos. :mad:

My wife and I visited the ranch about 10 years ago while we were staying near Lake Tahoe, and while most of it had been turned into a typical cheesy tourist attraction, it was definitely worth the drive to see the house (which is much smaller in person than it appears on screen), not to mention all of the amazingly beautiful scenery surrounding the ranch. Model Maker, you're lucky to be living in a place surrounded by all that beauty!

DinoMike, great score on that kit! If only I could afford one...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Probably against the rules but I cant find the Ebay thread. If there is one here cant it be a 'sticky' so's it's easy to find?

There's one on Ebay UK now for £50!

Revell Bonanza 3 Figure Kit From The Classic TV Series Item number: 5926364226

Nothing to do with me but it seemed odd that I found it immediately after reading this thread!
Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts