Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Usually always written in a "pro" indorsement style but this one actually points out some early flaws with fit and quality. Very surprised the author writes it off as "new company" issues since I figure he is already well aware that the factory making them is the same used by JL who have the exact same issues on many castings as well. Little mention of the superb wheels and rims but does give kudos to the casting choices. In my opinion, a little nit picky towards the end, especially taking into consideration the direction others seem headed in die-cast but at least they got some ink. Mostly worth the wait? I guess that is in the eye of the beholder since I think we all agree these were more than worth the wait.

Anybody else catch this?

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Jeff seems to have left out the excellent wheels, and the attention to detail, he really picked on the paint in the small areas. Not a bad review, great cars!

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
I don't see anything technically wrong with what is said in the article. Everything mentioned is truthfull. I think the mention of Greenlight being a new company is a good reason for there being quality issues despite the fact that they are made by the same manufacturing company as JL's. Just because a product comes from the same manufacturer does not mean that one buyer can not have tighter quality standards then another. Also some of the complaints mentioned had nothing to do with the manufacturing process but rather design and color issues which GL is responsible for.

The article states that the good aspects far outweigh the bad. What do you really want, a cool aid everything is wonderful review? I think it is a rather positive review article for GL and maybe it will encourage improvements down the road.

thanks for the link Mark.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Atencio said:
I don't see anything technically wrong with what is said in the article. Everything mentioned is truthfull. I think the mention of Greenlight being a new company is a good reason for there being quality issues despite the fact that they are made by the same manufacturing company as JL's. Just because a product comes from the same manufacturer does not mean that one buyer can not have tighter quality standards then another. Also some of the complaints mentioned had nothing to do with the manufacturing process but rather design and color issues which GL is responsible for.

The article states that the good aspects far outweigh the bad. What do you really want, a cool aid everything is wonderful review? I think it is a rather positive review article for GL and maybe it will encourage improvements down the road.

thanks for the link Mark.
Agreed, but I've never seen another article done by them that I recall anything being negative. I think the issues here are pretty common amongst all die-cast companies and to pin GL with it seemed off especially since from what I have seen have a pretty good handle on details.

A fair article all in all.

·
Registered
896 Posts
The biggest goof I've seen so far on the few GL diecast I have are the missing quarter windows on the '69 Mustang Boss 302 and Boss 429 castings...it's a common mistake other diecast makers have made.

·
7,828 Posts
The mis-matched roof on the 67 mentioned in the article:

I have to say that this is unexcusable and is a terrible flaw in an otherwise nice casting.

The front grill and non-closing hood on my 67

I can accept that the grill may have been hard to detail appropriately but it does look rather odd being all silver. The part that I don't care for is what was mentioned as not being a problem, the painting. I have silver all over my hood and black smundges all over the front part where the radiator framing would be in the front of the engine compartment.

Another painting issue. The black around the passenger side headlight was not done properly

Being nitpicky, prehaps. However if GL chooses to price their cars so I am paying over $13.00/case for their cars over other makes (who make no mention of their cars being for the adult collector) then I feel that GL should be held to a higher standard.

On the plus side I did get a custom 442 green machine and also picked up a 98 and Z06 1/64 Corvette pace car.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Did anyone also notice that the article also contained a couple of errors -- one incorrectly stating the number of pieces per casting produced as 5,000 per color?

"High quality, limited production (just 5,000 pieces each color), metal bodies and chassis, opening hoods, great-looking wheel and tire combos and spot-on subject matter (including vehicles not done in small-scale before) were all part of the appeal."

In MCG Rel 1, there were actually only 2,500 pieces produced of each color. The article also contained a typo:

"Still, the good overwhelmingly outweights the bad." (Should be "outweighs"). Oops!

Overall an interesting article -- but it just goes to show that no one's perfect (lol) :drunk:.

gr6120

·
7,828 Posts
gr6120 said:
Did anyone also notice that the article also contained a couple of errors -- one incorrectly stating the number of pieces per casting produced as 5,000 per color?
So how many of each color/casting are being produced?

I know Milizones stated there are 3500 of each being made but I have two GT500s (Black one and white one) that are numbered 3798 and 3983 respectively.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I really wanted to order these cars, but all of the casting/paint problems that have been mentioned in the Hemmings review and in this thread are visible in some of the official photos that I've seen online, and they stopped me from buying any of the cars.

That is very disappointing to me, because I really like the subject cars, and I had expected to order them.

That mis-matched roof trim on the Coronet is a huge deal-breaker, and the front of the Mustang just doesn't look good to me at all.

Don't these cars go through some kind of prototype quality review before they are approved for production? That should be a really important part of the design process. Come on, GL, Wake Up!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Atencio said:
So how many of each color/casting are being produced?

I know Milizones stated there are 3500 of each being made but I have two GT500s (Black one and white one) that are numbered 3798 and 3983 respectively.
Greg,

The error in the article refers back to the first releases of the MCG series (2,500 pieces produced of each color per casting) and, possibly, the MCG Stock & Custom series (3,500 pieces produced for each respective S & C casting), rather than to the second, current release of MCG Stock & Custom, which we've been told is 3,500 pieces produced for each S & C casting. Here's a longer excerpt from the article to support my point:

"Breaking from its tradition of Indy-500-based vehicles, Greenlight made a splash in early-to-mid 2006 with its 1:64 scale range of muscle cars. High quality, limited production (just 5,000 pieces each color), metal bodies and chassis, opening hoods, great-looking wheel and tire combos and spot-on subject matter (including vehicles not done in small-scale before) were all part of the appeal."

An easier fix for the error (at least, as it pertains only to the very first release of the MCG series) would be to say "just 5,000 pieces each casting" (rather than "each color").

Regards,
gr6120

·
7,828 Posts
Maybe gr6120. I think it depends on how you read it. Jeff states that the first series had limited production but the 5,000 number is in parenthesis which I am taking to mean the current series production number, otherwise why use parenthesis in the sentence? I think the 5,000 is an editorial side comment telling the reader how many cars are being made in the series being reviewed. To be honest though grammer and spelling are my weak skills.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, that roof issue should not be too much of a problem on the rag top versions.:p

Tha caution I'd like to add is, when supper clear and large photos are used on die-cast, especially 1:64th, it tends to make issues look far worse then they often are. No excuse for the roof but I did not notice that in casual observation and neither did Mike G when we saw them last month.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Atencio said:
Maybe gr6120. I think it depends on how you read it. Jeff states that the first series had limited production but the 5,000 number is in parenthesis which I am taking to mean the current series production number, otherwise why use parenthesis in the sentence? I think the 5,000 is an editorial side comment telling the reader how many cars are being made in the series being reviewed. To be honest though grammer and spelling are my weak skills.
Hi Greg.

I appreciate your perspective, but must respectfully maintain a difference of opinion (lol). The article begins with a retrospective look at GL's "early-to-mid 2006" introduction of "its 1:64 scale range of muscle cars" and is written in the past tense. Since this is the case, it wouldn't make sense for the writer to suddenly introduce production stats for cars being produced in the present -- in the middle of a sentence discussing GL's past. The parenthetical figure in the sentence has been used only to provide the reader with supplementary information to support the writer's comment about "limited production" being "part of the appeal" of GL's 2006 1:64 muscle car releases.

Either way, to the best of my knowledge, GL has never produced 5,000 pieces of "each color" of any MCG 1:64 cars. To date, give or take a few pieces, 3,500 of each color per casting has been the most produced by GL for its various MCG series.

If I should be mistaken about this, I encourage anyone to jump right in here and set me straight (lol).

Regards,
gr6120

P.S. - I'm a writer, which accounts for my insistence (and stubbornness) with words, context and grammar ;).

·
7,828 Posts
gr6120 said:
Hi Greg.

Either way, to the best of my knowledge, GL has never produced 5,000 pieces of "each color" of any MCG 1:64 cars. To date, give or take a few pieces, 3,500 of each color per casting has been the most produced by GL for its various MCG series.

If I should be mistaken about this, I encourage anyone to jump right in here and set me straight (lol).
I am not sure how many are being made in this latest series but as I said I have two different GT500s that are over 3900 number wise.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts