Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I’ve been lurking here for a couple of weeks and I have a question that maybe some folks here can help me with. About a month ago I had to settle an estate for a friend that passed away, I was not aware that he collected (err… was addicted to) Hot Wheels. The collection runs from about 1992 to 2000 and totals over 3000 pieces. I’ve checked the Tomart guide and it appears that almost all the series cars (except treasure hunts) and most of the number packs with variations are represented. For example, I have 3 of the 96 first edition VW bus listed a few messages below. I’m not a collector and I don’t own a store so, where would be a good place to list them? I was thinking a website and posting links on forums like this one… Would that be frowned upon? Since I don't collect, any insight on how I should group them for sale would be appreciated. It seems people collect for different reasons. I have listed a few items on ebay with mixed response and I think the overpriced nature of some of the listings drive real collectors away.
Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Good Questions

Hi,

Those are some good questions you have asked and ones I have given some thought to myself. Only reason being that if someday my family were to ever have to sell my collection, that is if I wasn't buried with it :) , I would want them to first get the best value or payback they could for it and second, get the cars into the right peoples hands, i.e. collectors and not scalpers.

With such a large number of cars you will have to decide if you want to sell them all individually because that could mean many, many trips to the post office mailing packages out. This way may also leave you with all the cars nobody is in need of. If you were to sell in lots, then if somebody wanted one specific car they would buy the whole lot and then they would have to deal with the extras and they probably wouldn't mind if the price were right.

Just my thoughts and if I had more time I would keep typing, as it is, this advice will only cost you 1 FE Drag Bus :)

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do...

Clark :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, straightnnarrow.
My goal is to get them to the folks that appreciate them at a fair price.
Now, about that FE drag bus. :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hot Wheels .com Has An Auction Page Also Plus A Page Simular To This But More Buy,sell Or Trade. Maybe Put One On Auction And See How It Does.as Many As You Have It Will Be Hard To Sell All At One Time Too Hard To Ship People Want Good Cards Not Bent Or Creased Plus Too Many To Name Or Take Pics. Of Hard To See What You Are Buying.i Have Wanted The Drag Bus Forever Just Too Much Money For Me. Some People I Know Went Out Of Business They Sold Off All Mustangs Or All The Comaros Together And Right On Down The Line Each Car Or Motorcycle Or What Ever All Went Together.good Luck With Your Task ,sure Wish I Had 1 Of Those Drag Busses.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wheel Man,

The guide says 45-55 what would a collector pay? I was thinking of offering them at 50% of the guide. Is that a fair place to start? Considering mint car and near mint card. (I only say near mint on the card because some people can be pretty picky)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't have a Tomarts, but people that I know who do have one say that the prices ARE inflated.
Unfortunately, the best [and most time consuming way] to find out what they are worth TODAY would be to search ebay for particular cars that you have. The market is pretty soft right now. Many of the HW collectibles that people bought last year for $15 are going for $10 on ebay today. Certain "popular" cars like Camaros, Roadrunners, etc. might fetch more than the original $1 from people who like to collect as many as possible of a certain car.
Regardless of if you sell them on ebay, The Toy Peddler, or on the Swap Board as Rob suggested, you may want to take your time and find out the market value before you move them out. I think that you'll find that many of the more recent ones will fetch $.50 to $1........and you may have better luck selling the series as 4 or 5 car groups........just to get rid of them. BTW, on the variations, you probably want to make sure that you include 'variation' in the listing, because there are people who like to collect the variations.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I looked at the list... maybe put that alphabetical or at least maybe by year? couldn't even find the VW drag bus on the list... I'd say about 90% of that list under Hot Wheels single packs are probably $.50 cars... did notice a red 5 spoke #210 Viper... that's a good one..just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pablodragon,

The list is sorted by collector number ... made sense to me not being a collector.
I guess I thought the number was more important than the car name. If names would be better that's an easy fix. By the way I have first edition drag bus x3 :D I do have quite a few vipers ... just found a bunch in another crate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts