Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I need to know what this black piece is called...

its off of a 18hp v-twin b&s. Help please!

·
Registered
750 Posts
ENGINE SPECS? MANUFACTUREr, (oops didnt see caps lock on) model, numbers, type.. code? and where is that piece located in you engine

what happend to engine? :wave: :wave: :dude:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ok... here are the specs
BRIGGS AND STRATTON 18hp v-twin
model~ 42A707
type~ 2238 E1
code~ 01012195A

nothings wrong with the motor but that black piece is cracked and leaking gas so i don;t hae enough suction

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thats the fuel pump body.

If the cover plate has 4 screws Briggs P/N 693487.

If the cover plate has 3 screws Briggs P/N 691896.

·
Registered
750 Posts
True newz =) but thats how i got into engines =O took open my honda... scored plug super black no spark almost no oil but dipstick said full >=( and stuff,,, then bought a 2 hp briggs.. thats how i began!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree with newz somewhat, but I think the purpose of this forum is to help others out that don't have the knowledge to jump in to some projects.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys I know what im doing. I was looking for a techincal term. Its working or should i say did work for 3 hours. It ran outta gas and would not restart. I checked everything for spark, changed the plugs ( one of them looked rich the other was smelling like gas) It will run for about 1 min but horribly on 1 cylinder and barley stays alive. It also is spitting gas back up through the throttle body into the air filter whcich leads me to beilve its possible a exhaust valve is stuck.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Kodiak956 check your valve clearance.

Intake valves min .006 / max .008

Exhaust valves min .009 / max .011

Sounds like the intake valve is sticking or the clearance is to tight.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Valve Seat

The engine you posted model numbers for is an opposed twin, these engines have had a history of problems with the valve seats coming loose, this could cause a problem similar to the one you describe.

Determine which cylinder is causing the problem and remove the cylinder head and inspect the valves, seats and overall condition and you should be able to tell what is causing the problem (loose valve seat, stuck valve, excessive carbon build up, etc...)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks 30 year tech... You would not happen to have access to a service or repair manual would you? What is the fix to these problems... how hard and long do they take and how much money? Is it worth doing my self?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts