Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday one of my racing buddies ran brushless for the frist time. 4300 with updates and a GTB 4 cell speed control, he was quick during most of practice, then had a hard crash, his time dropped about .5 sec per lap after the crash( laps times where 5.2 then 5.8) and could not get the speed back. Car was awsome but no top end, it seems that the motor was cutting out about half way down the straights. He was very frustrated as to what the problem could be. Lack of knowledge on brushless doesn't help fix problems.

He is internet challanged so I am asking for help, what is most likely the problem?

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Does the rotor spin freely? If not then possible damage to the rotor itself or one of the bearings.

This will seem obvious, but are all 3 wires still attached to the motor? If one is off the motor can still run, but will do so very badly.

Basically, look for all the obvious stuff. if you can't see or feel what is wrong then you'll probably need to send it back to Novak.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
don't forget to check the car out real good i have seen arms that were broken that you couldn't see. also pins get bent that could slow you down or even bearings bind after a hard hit. may not be the problem but it's wise to check very closely.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'll second the check all three wires reply. I crashed in a main and my car slowed way down. A 19T guy was running with us who I had passed repeatedly in the qualifiers, but after the crash I couldn't pass him. Checked the car out at the track and could not see anything wrong. When I was cleaning the car later that night, I saw one of the motor wires was off.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
After you check the wires go ahead and try to reset the speed control. Sometimes the quick set comes undone with a hard crash.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I have also heard of this happning after w reck.. the bad news is the ones i saw it happen to had there esc go poof shortley after.. The wreck then lack of speed wrecks something inside the esc.. then it goes pooof..Lots of people blame the esc or quality, but the wreck is what causes the damage..

Hopefully your buddies esc has one of the other issues.. dont like to see a newbie to brushless have one go poof..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts