Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks...I'm new around here and pretty new to modeling. After tons of studying, I decided to take this time and go all out on the J2 kit I've been hanging on to for years. I'm doing sliding doors, tons of fiber and lots of other bells and whistles. I just cracked open the Moebius lighting kit and realized that it's got a wall wart (zoinks). I only intend on using the fusion core and the bubble lights and really want to have it battery powered. So...here is my newbie question.

The wall wart is labeled as "5 volts and 1000ma" - I have a linear voltage regulator that has a fixed output of 5 volts and 1.5A - can I use that to step down a 9 volt? I believe that the fusion core lighting will only draw the ma that it requires, but just want to be sure I am not going to fry it. I was hoping to find a small lithium ion battery that would do the trick, but the closest I can find is 4.5 volts at 900ma. Any help, or nudge in the right direction is much appreciated.

I added some pics below for street cred. I love this board. Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Jerry,
Sounds like you're biting off a whole lot if you're new to modeling. I'd suggest that you tackle a simpler project first. Doing that will allow you to make mistakes on a lesser kit and learn from them before you go whole hog on the Jupiter II. Maybe you could try lighting a shuttlecraft Galileo or a Batmobile.

I have found that any amount of preparation earlier on a modeling project can save me a lot of headaches later.

·
BANNED
7,996 Posts
Mark may have a good point.
maybe shelve this for a minute and cut your teeth on something a little less complex?

·
Administrator
27,105 Posts
Your regulator has to much current and the battery has to little voltage but the right amperage. The ideal would be to have (the same or) more voltage and a lower current/amperage. 🤙

·
Registered
557 Posts
Jerry,

I guess that your 5volt voltage regulator is something like a 7805 three terminal regulator.?? You can certainly use this to supply 5v from a 9v battery.
But be aware that linear regulators dissipate the unwanted voltage as heat and as such they are very inefficient.
Couple that with a standard 9v battery, that does not contain much energy, and you may find that it won't last for long.
Might not be a problem, depending on how often you turn it on.

You may find that the Moebius lighting kit will actually work OK on 4.5 volts with the LEDs being slightly dimmer.
You could try it out as the lower voltage will not damage the electronics, and if it works, its a winner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts