Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the wife just sold all of our front room furniture and gave me full reign of the 16x 36 foot room. i picked up 4 4x8 sheets of 3/4 plywood and got a pile of casket stands from her funeral home so im ready to build.i have an over abundance of track and got a feeling im goin too big. ive already had to add more power supplies. am i gettin carried away ? should i down size ? what other problems might i encounter. lookin for advice. thanx --bruce--

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
That's a very long room. The only issue I'd see is that once you get past 20 feet or so the cars are hard to see, especially for the over 40 crowd. I'd be looking at more than one track, including a drag strip because you have plenty of length for a quarter mile with a decent shutdown zone. Maybe a drag strip on one wall and two approx. 5x16 road courses on the other, one a twisty and the other an oval or figure 8 or something built for raw speed. Keep the tables to 5 ft max depth should allow for plenty of marshalling around all sides.

A triple track racing motorplex sounds very, very cool to me. If you need help with layouts let me know.

Uh... you may not want to mention what the tables are sitting on to visitors.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I agree! When we moved into a new home several years ago, I set up a drag strip diaganolly and had two road courses on each side. It was fun until we could afford furniture.

Good luck!

Marty
AfxToo said:
That's a very long room. The only issue I'd see is that once you get past 20 feet or so the cars are hard to see, especially for the over 40 crowd. I'd be looking at more than one track, including a drag strip because you have plenty of length for a quarter mile with a decent shutdown zone. Maybe a drag strip on one wall and two approx. 5x16 road courses on the other, one a twisty and the other an oval or figure 8 or something built for raw speed. Keep the tables to 5 ft max depth should allow for plenty of marshalling around all sides.

A triple track racing motorplex sounds very, very cool to me. If you need help with layouts let me know.

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
AfxToo said:
I'd be looking at more than one track, including a drag strip because you have plenty of length for a quarter mile with a decent shutdown zone. Maybe a drag strip on one wall and two approx. 5x16 road courses on the other, one a twisty and the other an oval or figure 8 or something built for raw speed. Keep the tables to 5 ft max depth should allow for plenty of marshalling around all sides.

Would agree, you could always put up a couple of tracks, one road course and one NASCAR tri-oval or something close. This way you can race either style whenever you wish. Can't wait for the pix! :thumbsup: rr

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Go with a couple!! That way you can choose based on your mood, speed or road course. I have 2 in my 24 x 17 room. A tuckaway 500, and the routered oval that Goose had at the fest last year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts