Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found in a store clearance bin a 2011 dodge charger rt. The card shows the correct car and the correct car is in it. The error is on the side where they print the year,make and model. Its printed 71 dodge charger r/t. What would something like this be worth. I can send a photo to some one if they can help me. PLEASE

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I think they are all like that... so it's worth... $1

what it is, if you look closely, it was supposed to be '11...not 71

they just printed the apostrophe too close to the 1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I busted out the magnifying glass and there was a tiny line.LOL. I also have datsun bluebird 510 black missing the stripe down one side. Im new to all this and trying to learn.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
The value of an error casting is only worth what you paid for it.
Errors are common in the Hot Wheel world. Anything from mismatched wheels to no wheels, no winshield.
There are collectors who collect errors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just looking to collect some for my son to have some day. Maybe when he is my age they will be worth something. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
I don't know many kids who collect Hot Wheels as an investment. Perhaps the kids are smarter than adults (they buy Hot Wheels to open and play with). I see many older people in the die cast aisle who buy Hot Wheels thinking it's a buck better spent than putting the money in a bank. I think that might be true if you sell the car when it first comes out (but is it worth the time and gas?).

Any hobby cost money, but does it matter if the hobby gives you enjoyment? Golfing is enjoyment along with many other hobbies that cost money with no financial gain unless you are a pro.

Have fun collecting die cast! Even if you get 20% of your money back when you retire......it's more that nothing. If you spent the money going to a bar several times a week you would have nothing to show for it financially (and possibly a DUI or health issues).

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Just looking to collect some for my son to have some day. Maybe when he is my age they will be worth something. :thumbsup:
Another side to this would be what specific Hot Wheels are you looking to collect?
There are many different ways to collect-premium cars-muscle cars-certain castings like a Camaro or Mustang or Javelin.
It can be a lot of fun as STUTZ mentioned.
As for value, that depends on what you would consider valuable. Some cars are valued at a few dollars some can fetch $7 or $8 maybe a bit more.
The way you want your collection to go is all up to you, there is no right or wrong way to collect as long as you have fun along the way.
And this place is a good place to start.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
If my parents bought me toys that i was only allowed to look at and never open and play with and enjoy,how much would i have cared about them 30 years later?

Probably little to none.And any memory i did have would more then likely to be more of a bad one then a good one.

How fond of a memory would it be now for getting yelled at for asking to play with toys i could only look at when i was a kid?

The toys that are most sought after now from years ago came from a time when kids got toys and played with them.

Being as there are probably now about 8 million guys saving multiples of every mainline released to "put away for there kids",most of this stuff in 20 years will be sold by the ton as mulch,or ground up with old tires to make ashphalt.

Go on ebay and do a search for "hotwheels lot".
See how many hits you get,and how many are for tons of stuff that is no older then ten years at best.
Then look at the completed auctions......most turn no profit or are a loss,some break even,and few actually make money.

If you got into this for an investment,then my advice is to move along.

:wave:

Mike

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
As everyone is saying Fireeball, collecting these cars as an investment is not the best idea. If you could jump back in time to 1968 to buy all the original Redline Hot Wheels, then you might have something. But if you bought all the current dollar Hot Wheels for the next ten years, one out of a hundred might be worth a little more than you payed for it twenty years from now, even errors. Most would be worth less. So you can see how these aren't the best investment. Better to enjoy them with your Son for what they are, mass produced toys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More doing to have fun. Like the datsun 510 that came out awhile back. I used to have one and rip up the canyons with it. :freak: ... Just playing around.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
So you buy "dinky" cars to make money? Brother, you are going to go broke fast unless you know a bunch of suckers who buy into this hype. JUST HAVE FUN WITH IT AND BE HAPPY WITH THAT!

·
Registered
923 Posts
This. If you want to make money you're going to have to spend money. Buy vintage redlines, $THs, and chases. They stand a good chance of increasing in value over time. Personally I'd just buy scrap gold and put it away in a safe. :) Collecting $1 cars produced by the hundreds of thousands aren't going to be worth anything in your lifetime...or your son's. To each their own though.

I have memories of playing and racing Hot Wheels as a kid...and I want more memories of playing and racing Hot Wheels with my son.

He's only four right now so he's still into crashing cars, elimination races, and stuff like that. It's really hard for him to understand being careful with toy cars... The first time I started to reprimand him on mishandling a toy car I felt like an ass and I started retraining him and me. They're just toy cars...but they last somewhat longer if you are careful with them. The ones on "the big shelf" we are careful with. The 100 car case in his toy area are his crash and bash cars. And don't take that wrong...there are some really cool cars in his crash and bash case too. ;)

So you buy "dinky" cars to make money? Brother, you are going to go broke fast unless you know a bunch of suckers who buy into this hype. JUST HAVE FUN WITH IT AND BE HAPPY WITH THAT!

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
This. If you want to make money you're going to have to spend money. Buy vintage redlines, , and chases. They stand a good chance of increasing in value over time. Personally I'd just buy scrap gold and put it away in a safe. :) Collecting $1 cars produced by the hundreds of thousands aren't going to be worth anything in your lifetime...or your son's. To each their own though.

Collecting scrap gold is OK, but it won't appreciate in value like a GRADED gold coin in MS 62 or higher condition. Scrap gold will only be worth what gold is selling for at the current time. Gold can go down, but a rare gold coin in MS 62 or higher condition that is GRADED can go up when the price of gold goes down.

RAW (scrap gold).

Graded is much better.

A 1907 HIGH RELIEF Double Eagle.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Interesting tid bit about the gold Ray. We can always count on you to chime in with something interesting about another kind of collecting.

So what kind of return on your investment would you hope to see on a $20 graded gold coin like that if you sold it in 10-15 years?

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Interesting tid bit about the gold Ray. We can always count on you to chime in with something interesting about another kind of collecting.

So what kind of return on your investment would you hope to see on a $20 graded gold coin like that if you sold it in 10-15 years?

Hard to predict the future on any investment FF.

I'd love to have the silver dollar in the link below though. It surpassed the 1933 Saint - Gaudens Double Eagle in price.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/coin-409350-silver-first.html

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
I'm sorry, but I just have to say it: if I had a nickel for every newbie who wants to know "how much" for his diecast "investment" I'd have enough nickels to invest in bars of gold for my kid's future...:rolleyes:

:wave:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts