Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey baby boomers! what toy was this?

I will do my best to discribe this thing:

Around 1969 to 71? My older brother had this strange light show toy that looked like a scanner screen from the TOS STAR TREK bridge or something....

It was white with a base and knobs and a big round black screen that sat on a short neck ( imagine it looking something like a small house fan that you use in da summer time )

Inside there were small round silver discs that had different shapes....I believe that when a focused light was reflected on the disc from the inside it shot an image onto the screen....I think that the speed and possibly the angle of the disc could be changed to create a lazer like image?

Any ideas anyone????

I have tried to do all kinds of searches on the internet with no luck I'm out of ideas!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I gotsta know!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,301 Posts
Wow, that's completely unkown to me. Sorry, Flukey :(.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I had that toy, my Brother got it for me for Christmas. But sorry, I don't remember it's name.

There were 4, or 6 chromed disc's that you could change out. The light shined up from the base, through the neck, and through a lense onto the disc's. The motors were fixed, the pattens changed and rotated by altering the motor's speed.

It was a great toy, I played it to death. If I could find one now, I would buy it.

David.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Hey Fluke, You Should Try those guys @ the "Toy Shop" Magazine/Newspaper I'm sorry I don't have a Link for you BUT those Folks have a regular Column where Collector's Ask Questions just like Yours! Hope ya' find it. Now I have a Song I've been trying to Find for 10 Years It Haunts me! lol

LON/JOHN

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks dudes!

I'm sure by todays standards it would seem kinda dull or simple....but its for more nostalgic reasons plus its been driving me nutz for ever!

David,

When was that roughly?

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UP.......just in case someone knows.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK.....UPDATE!

A Pal over at the Major Matt Mason site HAS ONE! its called the:

ASTRO SCOPE by OHIO ART.

The dang thing is so rare it doen't even come up on a GOOGLE text or image search! He said he found his on ebay but its very hard to find.

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Astro Scope. That sounds familiar, fat lot of good that does you now. :lol: Ohio Art used to make some great toys, but I would have never guessed that, that was one of theirs.

Fluke, does your pal have any photos of it on his site, and what is the address please. The funny thing is that I used to use the Astro Scope with my Major Matt Mason.

David.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
David,

I will ask him if he does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts